Re: eSpeak optimizations for Android 6.0

Matěj Plch <plchterminator@...>

Hi Mario,
I know about this port of eSpeak, but there is some in-app
advertisement, so I do not like this port.
It is established on the existing code and I found the crashes too.
Sincerely,
Matej

Dne 31.12.2016 v 13:49 Mario Perčinić napsal(a):
Hi Matej.

Have you tried using port of espeak for android called eSpeak TTS
Engine from RedZoc apk. On his page he says that he optimised espeak
for android 6 and later.

Mario

On 12/31/2016 1:38 PM, Matěj Plch wrote:
Okay, Reece, thanks for your answer. I totaly understand. Regards,
Matej

Dne 31.12.2016 v 11:50 Reece H. Dunn napsal(a):
On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 02:39 am, Matěj Plch wrote:

Dear users and developers, I am very happy, that this discussion
group was established and the next generation of eSpeak will come
in near future! Can you highlight some important changes, which
we can expect?

The changes are described in the changelog
(https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md).

My main focus so far has been:

1. Clean up the build process.

2. Simplify porting to other systems (BSD, Mac, Windows).

3. Clean up the codebase to make it easier to maintain.

4. Make the code more robust and secure.

I am highly interested in the port for Android operating system.
In this context, I would like to discuss, if is possible to make
some engine optimizations, because I register quite often crashes
of latest available version 1.48.15 on Android Marshmallow.

It is difficult to know where the crash is occurring and why. The
focus on security and stability above should help reduce/remove
the number of crashes on Android.

I tested it on many devices with this OS and the crashing problem
is noticeable especialy during fast typing on Google Keyboard or
sometimes, when I want to open several apps quickly. I posted
many crashing reports directly from the devices, but do not know,
if developers catched them.

I can see them, but as I have said, it is difficult to know what
the cause of the crash is. The work I have done already should
help, but there is still more to fix and improve.

I am working on merging the android code into the main branch, so
that the android code will be usable from the main releases
instead of requiring the android branch to be updated. This
should make it easier to perform new Android releases in the
future.

Kind regards,

Reece Dunn