Re: Handling emoji in dictionary files

Christo de Klerk

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

Before writing to the list, I had actually tried all those things. I get a clean compile when I compile the dictionary, but many, if not most, of the emoji are not spoken. It looks to me like there is some upper cut-off Unicode value above which they don't work. It would probably need a change to the compiler or even eSpeak-NG itself for this to work.

As I wrote to Reece, I could handle this in a punctuation dictionary for NVDA, but it would then be restricted to that screen reader.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2017/03/17 4:36 PM, Chris wrote:
Hi,
make sure to have insert the correct UNICODE characters.
I suggest to copy the characters for emoji from Emojipedia, then create a dictionary for your language in UTF-8 encoding before pasting those characters into it.
Alternatively you can write the UNICODE code instead of the character, see in en_lists below "phonetic modifiers" category.
For example:
U+2b0 aspI2reItI2d // superscript H (IPA aspirated).

Cheers.

Chris.

Christo de Klerk, 16/03/2017 10:22:
Hello all

I want to create an extra file for the Afrikaans language (af_extra) to
handle emoji, but I am running into an issue. If the code for the emoji
is only one character, that entry works, but where the code consists of
two characters, it does not, although I don't get a compile error; it
just does not work.

Let me say at the outset that I don't have eSpeak-ng installed, just the
old eSpeak and I compile with eSpeakEdit, so I don't know if this is
something which has been changed in eSpeak-ng so that double character
emoji can be handled in dictionary files. Below is an extract from the
af_extra file I am trying to create. The first entry works, because the
symbol is only one character code, but the remaining ones don't work.

I will really appreciate any advice or assistance please.

Here is the extract from af_extra:

⌣ x2lImlax2
😻 x2lImlax2@nd@||katx2esix2mEt||hart_u:@
😺 x2lImlax2@nd@||katx2@sIx2mEt||o@p||mOnt