Re: Handling emoji in dictionary files

Christo de Klerk

Hello Reece

Thanks for your response and for the very interesting reference to your line of thinking which I have just read.

I am using NVDA and there is an NVDA punctuation dictionary which contains almost all emoji doing the rounds which I have on my computers. It enables NVDA to read most if not all emoji in English. I could make a similar one for my language and it would work fine enough, but that would restrict the speaking of emoji to NVDA and other screen reader users won't have the benefit. That is why I thought of addressing the matter through an extra file, but it looks like that is not currently possible for all Unicode emoji anyway.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2017/03/17 10:25 PM, Reece H. Dunn wrote:
On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 02:22 am, Christo de Klerk wrote:

Hello all

I want to create an extra file for the Afrikaans language (af_extra) to
handle emoji, but I am running into an issue. If the code for the emoji
is only one character, that entry works, but where the code consists of
two characters, it does not, although I don't get a compile error; it
just does not work.

Let me say at the outset that I don't have eSpeak-ng installed, just the
old eSpeak and I compile with eSpeakEdit, so I don't know if this is
something which has been changed in eSpeak-ng so that double character
emoji can be handled in dictionary files. Below is an extract from the
af_extra file I am trying to create. The first entry works, because the
symbol is only one character code, but the remaining ones don't work.

I will really appreciate any advice or assistance please.
I'm not sure about the issue you are having, but I intend to resolve this differently than via an _extra file when I get time to look at this. See https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues/16 ( https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues/16 ) for the discussions on this issue.

Kind regards,

Reece