Re: Introduction

Christo de Klerk

Hi Reece

Many thanks for your quick and helpful response.

I have only worked on the eSpeak dictionary and not on the program source code itself, so my knowledge about git and repositories is just about non-existent. I also don't have a local build of espeak-ng. So, for the time being, until I acquire those skills, I will send updated source code of the Afrikaans dictionary to the list.

I have noticed that, when I have Afrikaans active under espeak-ng and then open the symbols dictionary in NVDA, it still opens the English one. I have an Afrikaans symbols dictionary which works well with old eSpeak's Afrikaans. How do I get espeak-ng Afrikaans and the Afrikaans symbols dictionary to be linked?

Sorry, but I will probably have plenty of questions in time to come.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/12/29 11:29 AM, Reece H. Dunn wrote:
On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 01:08 am, Christo de Klerk wrote:

Hello all

I have just joined. My name is Christo de Klerk and I am from South
Africa. For the past 10 years I have been maintaining the eSpeak
dictionary for the Afrikaans language and I would very much like to
continue with that work and make it still more accurate than it already
is. Does eSpeak-NG use dictionaries of the same name and format as the
old eSpeak?

Yes, the dictionary format is the same.

Does one still use eSpeakEdit to compile them?

Currently, espeakedit needs a patch to be able to work with espeak-ng.

If you have built espeak-ng locally, you can run:

make af

to build the Afrikaans dictionary. Alternatively, you can run:

espeak-ng --compile=af

A GUI editor to replace espeakedit is planned, but has not been implemented yet.

To whom
should I send the updated dictionary?

You can send the source files to this list. Alternatively, if you add the updates to the git source code, you can point me to your repository or create a pull request on GitHub and I will incorporate your changes.

I am really thrilled that this project is continuing. ESpeak's Afrikaans
is the only synthesiser for our language and eSpeak's English is by far
the best synthesiser, as it is able to pronounce far more characters
than any other synthesiser.

Another question: I am using an MBrola voice with old eSpeak. Can the
new one also support MBrola? The advantage of this is that one gets a
far more natural sounding voice when one uses MBrola.

Yes, espeak-ng supports MBROLA.

Kind regards,

Reece Dunn