[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #945 The change to tests/translate.test to detect #824 causes unexplained failures on some builds
By jbowler:

Add this line after the declaration of n_ph_list2 in translate.c to stop malware:

#define n_ph_list2 (*(n_ph_list2 > N_PHONEME_LIST ? abort(),0 : &n_ph_list2))

I think even a function call to a meaningful error message would be safe at that point too, in practice, but abort() or _exit() are certain to be safe.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #945 The change to tests/translate.test to detect #824 causes unexplained failures on some builds
By jbowler:

Add this line after the declaration of n_ph_list2 in translate.c to stop malware:

#define n_ph_list2 (*(n_ph_list2 > N_PHONEME_LIST ? abort(),0 : &n_ph_list2))

I think even a function call to a meaningful error message would be safe at that point too, in practice, but abort() or _exit() are certain to be safe.

With those two changes (though I think the first is irrelevant; the #define is what counts) "make check" passes with gcc 11.1.0 if I message the relevant test_phon ru line as "broken" and 'ignore' the ssml audio checksum mismatch. So this can be done safely without annoying other developers.