Re: an odd issue in espeak ng

Reece H. Dunn

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 08:39 pm, kendell clark wrote:

hi all
I've just upgraded my copy of espeak ng from git. Ever since then, the
l's have been sounding very ... odd. As if the "l@" sound were being
held too long. I don't know how to explain it any clearer than that, but
in words such as "kyle", "dell", and "clock" the l just sounds off. I've
attempted to fix this in my english US fixes repository but I don't know
how. Would anyone be willing to look into this?

I'll take a look. The problem is not with the dictionary files, but with the phoneme files.

Let me know if you notice any other issues.

This would affect nvda
on windows except they're using an older espeak ng version, whereas I'm
using the latest from git with orca here.

The 1.49.1 release should also work.

Also, how would I go about
getting someone to look at my US english fixes for inclusiong in espeak
ng? Pull request? If anyone is interested, they can check them out at
git://github.com/coffeeking/espeak-en-us. If I've brought this up too
much just say so, the only reason I'm bringing it up now is because I've
got over 2000 fixes, and I'd like to help espeak ng get better since I
use it as my preferred synth every day, on my computers and tablets.

The problem is mainly a time issue. I would need time to go through your changes and apply the correct fix to the English files. This is because 1) I would like to fix the underlying pronunciation rules, and 2) due to your focus on American English, some of your changes if applied directly would break the other English accents.

Long term I would like to use https://github.com/rhdunn/amepd to check the American English pronunciation for espeak-ng, correcting both espeak-ng and the pronunciation dictionary. Similarly for a Received Pronunciation British English and a Scottish English accent.

- Reece