[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #337 Why my espeak-ng program doesn't say anything?
By Dumisanik:

In my case, I had to disable PortAudio and opt for PulseAudio in Ubuntu 18. Then audio worked. I made this change in the Makefile when building speak version 1.48

#AUDIO = portaudio
AUDIO = pulseaudio