Pull Request Opened #github

[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request opened by demaere-oiie:

#858 qdb - lang belta (conlang from The Expanse)

This is a TTS package for lang belta, an artificial creole developed by Nick Farmer for "The Expanse" TV show. (NB: it differs significantly from the "belter creole" language in the books) It is an unofficial fan creation.

At the moment, it contains my best interpretation based on conversations with the speech coach for the show, Eric Armstrong, and people such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcgaIqEioH4 who have learned the language orally, directly from Farmer.

For phonology and references, see documentation at the bottom of the following page: https://glaemscrafu.jrrvf.com/english/glaemscribe.html?mode=lang_belta-tengwar-dadef

pedantic notes:

  • the necessary phonemes were cut-and-pasted from other espeak-ng languages, en-us, en-rp, and jp.
  • there may be more aspects of the language revealed in upcoming seasons
  • we only have numbers up to (at most) 9'999 at this time
  • the 'qdb' abbreviation is q-private and has not been asssigned. 'db' is for da belte, the language's toponym