Thanks for the assist.

I'll create a separate ticket for item (2) to keep things organized.

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by michael-conrad:
#793 There needs to be a way to explicitly set stress ONLY via rules to support unstressed languages and other non-European languages.

As far as Cherokee goes and for many other North American languages, there needs to be a way to explicitly set stress via rules or dictionary that don't get changed, ever, by the phoneme generation code.

As it stands right now, all the stress rules that are defined dictate that stress is added, and there does not seem to be an obvious way of stopping stress from being added except via manual dictionary entries with '$u'.

For context: the dialect of Cherokee that I'm currently working on is strictly unstressed, and I seem to get odd consonant and vowel combination changes even if I select all stressed with all stress strengths and lengths set the same in the config files.

If I set the stress pattern to any other setting, even though I have all stressed defined identical, the engine still generates different lengths for stressed vs unstressed forms. (Which may be a separate issue, don't know).

Per @jaacoppi, see ticket #785

jaacoppi commented 20 minutes ago

ignoring all stress rules, instead of what's in the language files.
dictionary.c has a few functions ending with Stress(): SetVowelStress, GetWordStress, ChangeWordStress. Adding the logic for ignoring all stress patterns might be there already. Take a look and see if anything rings a bell. If not, I'll try to add the required code there as well.

Please provide some sample words or sentences where stress appears even though it shouldn't.

[espeak-ng:master] New Issue Created by michael-conrad: