How to use flags in dictionary List in eSpeak

Robo Pi <antiquecraftsman@...>

I've been working with the dictionary list in eSpeak and I would like to use the following flags but I don't understand how to use them.   How does eSpeak know whether a word is a verb, or a noun, or past tense etc.?

$verb     Use this pronunciation if it's a verb.
$noun     Use this pronunciation if it's a noun.
$past     Use this pronunciation if it's past tense.
$verbf     The following word is probably is a verb.
$verbsf     The following word is probably is a if it has an "s" suffix.
$nounf     The following word is probably not a verb.
$pastf     The following word is probably past tense.
$verbextend     Extend the influence of $verbf and $verbsf.

Is there any detailed documentation or tutorials on how to use these flags in the lang_list file?

I've read the document on the eSpeak page, but that has limited information.

Thanks
James