[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request opened by BenTalagan:

#746 Fixing handling of sequence .' in english

Hello, this is kind of a bug I've referenced here : #741 .

The handling of the sequence .'does not seem totally optimal to me, since a lot of people use the apostrophe character as a simple quote ; espeak considers that this sequence is an acronym followed by a genitive (ex: u.s.a.'s) and thus prevents the last dot from being used as a clause end, which is annoying in a quoted context : He said 'I am back.' and left' would trigger the pronunciation ofdotafterback`.

But this can be easily disambiguated if testing the character after the apostrophe.

[espeak-ng/espeak-ng] Pull request updated by BenTalagan:

#746 Fixing handling of sequence .' in english

Hello, this is kind of a bug I've referenced here : #741 .

The handling of the sequence .'does not seem totally optimal to me, since a lot of people use the apostrophe character as a simple quote ; espeak considers that this sequence is an acronym followed by a genitive (ex: u.s.a.'s) and thus prevents the last dot from being used as a clause end, which is annoying in a quoted context : He said 'I am back.' and left would trigger the pronunciation of dot after back.

But this can be easily disambiguated if testing the character after the apostrophe.

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Issue #741 Spurious punctuation pronunciation
By BenTalagan:

After investigation the case I've commented on seems a bit different and specifically related to the handling of simple quotes (see PR #746). However, the initial issue might be related to the logic of ReadClause too - no proof yet :).