Från: Reece H. Dunn
Skickat: den 5 november 2019 19:44
Till: espeak-ng@groups.io
Ämne: Re: [espeak-ng] new espeak ng builds

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 05:36 PM, Simon Eigeldinger wrote:

Hi all,

I have compiled new builds yesterday.
now they also work on all systems.

Great. Thanks for doing this.

had to get release mode working.
by default visual studio uses debug mode which doesn't let you run the
binaries on a non developer pc.
Seems we don't get voice variants in the msi installer.
We also seem to lack documentation.
I ask myself if it is a good idea to continue with msi installers when
the creation and keeping them up to date of such ones is pretty complex?
What do you think?

MSI is the standard Windows installer format (like deb files on Debian/Ubuntu). While they are a pain to manage, they provide features such as the ability to upgrade, repair, and uninstall. This includes updating the registry and ensuring that dependencies within the installer are installed based on the features the user selects. This is done by keeping the GUIDs the same for each item.

I would like to update the MSI to better reflect the current state (e.g. new voices) before release. I haven't had time to do this yet, but patches are welcome.

Longer term, we can look at better ways to manage the process. Something like having the GUIDs in the language/voice file with the ability to generate the voice data part of the installer XML source. This could then be made so that the tests can check that GUIDs are present and valid, so the regression tests will fail if any are missing/wrong.

Regarding SAPI support: There is an experimental version commented out for English. It has a few bugs and is not complete.

Kind regards,
Reece

Greetings,
Simon