[espeak-ng:master] reported: Added initial disability related emojis from Unicode 12.0. #github

[espeak-ng:master] New Comment on Pull Request #638 Added initial disability related emojis from Unicode 12.0.
By rhdunn:

I generate the initial list in the English files from e.g. https://www.unicode.org/Public/emoji/12.0/emoji-test.txt, then use that script with a stable version of CLDR downloaded locally. I haven't found an easy way to maintain this other than comparing it with the previous version (e.g. via the diff command).

NOTE: I would prefer the different versions of the emoji file (currently 12.0 and 12.1) to be added in separate commits to make it easier to track updates. Likewise for the CLDR updates (although the various translations should all be added together). New emoji files should be added separately using the last version of the CLDR used.

The emoji script is called in https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/blob/master/Makefile.am#L436 for creating the other _emoji files.

You should be able to do something like:

mv dictsource/en_emoji{,.bak}
rm dictsource/*_emoji
mv dictsource/en_emoji{.bak,}
CLDR_PATH=/opt/cldr/35.1 make

That updates all the translations, including any new ones added in the en_emoji file.

It will also use the data/annotationsEspeak file to pick up additional symbol translations. My intention is ultimately to have all the various symbol names defined there for the supported languages. It could also be used for emoji files for languages not supported in the CLDR (although I would prefer they get added there).