Some questions about eSpeak-ng and MBrola

Christo de Klerk

Hello all

I have been using MBrola with the old eSpeak for many years and would like to get it going under eSpeak-ng now I am using NVDA as my screen reader. I have looked at the eSpeak-ng documentation and I think I have copied all the necessary MBrola files into their correct places, but I can't get MBrola activated under NVDA. I select espeak-ng as my synthesiser, then I go to Voice preferences and I see mb-en1 listed there, in the list of voices, but it is the usual eSpeak-ng en voice that keeps talking. How do I get mb-en1 to talk?

Then another question. MBrola tools has this confirmation dialog that keeps popping up every first time it is run after a reboot. Has anyone found a way to get that out of the way? It causes havoc, as it pops up before there is any speech.

I see there is now a Windows installation of eSpeak-ng. Would it upset the old installation of eSpeak at all if one were to install eSpeak-ng? I don't want to break anything that ain't broke.

I see the eSpeak-ng documentation is in a .md format. What does one use to read .md files?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to espeak-ng and would like to get a grip on it. I have worked with the old eSpeak and have done dictionary development for many years.

Kind regards

Christo