Topics

SIP phones and supporting software

Gordon Haverland

Any recommendations on SIP phones and supporting software for Linux?

I will guess Asterisk is still the best supporting software, I have no
idea on phones

-

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 18:43:53 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

Any recommendations on SIP phones and supporting software for Linux?
I guess you need someone to "serve" your phone number, whatever that
is. Suggestions?

o1bigtenor

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019 at 9:55 PM Gordon Haverland
<ghaverla@...> wrote:

On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 18:43:53 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

Any recommendations on SIP phones and supporting software for Linux?
I guess you need someone to "serve" your phone number, whatever that
is. Suggestions?
You sure you have enough bandwidth to put your phone on VOIP?

Regards

Rajiv D

I use Zoiper as sip client. Asterisk as sip Server. And Anveo as the phone service provider.

- Rajiv

On Dec 25, 2019, at 18:44, Gordon Haverland <ghaverla@...> wrote:
Any recommendations on SIP phones and supporting software for Linux?

I will guess Asterisk is still the best supporting software, I have no
idea on phones

-

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 07:09:22 -0600
"o1bigtenor" <o1bigtenor@...> wrote:

You sure you have enough bandwidth to put your phone on VOIP?
The minimum seems to be about 90 kbps, I have 350 or so. I suppose I
could buy more bandwidth.

Rajiv D

From my experience g711 uses about ~80 kbps and is compatible with almost all service providers. G729 should consume about 64 kbps but I did not find the quality very good. G722 takes about 128 kbps and provides HD quality voice but is not always compatible If you connect with PSTN.

- Rajiv

On Dec 26, 2019, at 10:26, Gordon Haverland <ghaverla@...> wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 07:09:22 -0600
"o1bigtenor" <o1bigtenor@...> wrote:

You sure you have enough bandwidth to put your phone on VOIP?
The minimum seems to be about 90 kbps, I have 350 or so. I suppose I
could buy more bandwidth.

Keehan Dowd

I'm using Ekiga for my softphone clients and a couple of Sipura SPA-3000's for my POTS adapters.

If you want to terminate to the regular public phone network, you'll need a service provider.  I used to use Les.net out of Manitoba for years, but I switched to VoIP.ms about a year ago - many more features and flexibility at the provider side.

Regards,
Keehan.

On Wed, Dec 25, 2019, 8:55 PM Gordon Haverland, <ghaverla@...> wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2019 18:43:53 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

> Any recommendations on SIP phones and supporting software for Linux?

I guess you need someone to "serve" your phone number, whatever that
is.  Suggestions?

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 08:36:58 -0700
"Rajiv D via Groups.Io" <rdasm=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

And Anveo as the phone service provider.
Anveo seems to polarize people. They either love it or hate it. They
seem to have been around a long time.

I am guessing that I should probably get 1 personal line (for Mom) and
1 business line (for the farm/me). We have a landline (Telus).

I'm sort of thinking:
asterisk runs on LAN server
Client (Ekiga or ...) runs on computer that is near fireplace.
A grandstream "base" sits near "client computer"?
One handset *grandstream/wireless" sits near base.
Other handset sits elsewhere.

I will probably get the Unifi Securuty Gateway, it can carry something
from LAN server (? or another server?) to the "VOIP" jack of the USG.

But, this is way outside what I normally work with.

I currently have a cow and calf moose visiting (eating poplar and
dogwood).

Ken McWilliams

Just my 2 cents but I think FreeSwitch is pretty neat. Runs on a a stand alone desktop and some telcos use it. It was made by a group of people who developed for asterisk but wanted to solve some performance issues, not that those issue are of concern for any home setup. What really impressed me is the lead developer Minessale once was asked for a feature on a news group and he replied something along the lines of "that could be useful" please checkout this latest branch I've added the feature there (and that was like 2 hours after the request was made!).

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 2:54 PM Gordon Haverland <ghaverla@...> wrote:
I'm sort of thinking:
 asterisk runs on LAN server
 Client (Ekiga or ...) runs on computer that is near fireplace.
 A grandstream "base" sits near "client computer"?
 One handset *grandstream/wireless" sits near base.
 Other handset sits elsewhere.

I will probably get the Unifi Securuty Gateway, it can carry something
from LAN server (? or another server?) to the "VOIP" jack of the USG.

But, this is way outside what I normally work with.

I currently have a cow and calf moose visiting (eating poplar and
dogwood).

Sent from my C64 using a 300 baud modem