Topics

Regarding Rene Matthijssen

Keehan Dowd

Dear ELUG Members,
I regret to inform you that Rene passed away in hospital last night with his wife, Henriette, by his side.  He had a long battle with his heath over the past decade, but so long as he was able to read and write, he was an active member of the ELUG group.

Rene wishes are that he does not want any kind of funeral or service.  He only asked that I pass the following note to his friends;

"I thank God for a wonderful life!  Life has been good to me!  I accomplished much of what I set out to do, with the exception of training bears, but there is always a next life.
I was not able to walk for the past eight years.  Next life time, I should be a runner.  Right now I am looking forward to debating God about the condition of this world."
- Rene Matthijssen,  29 November 1943 - 15 December 2019

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 10:07 PM Keehan Dowd via Groups.Io <keehan.dowd=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello ELUG members,
Firstly - apologies if the subject line startled you.  Rene is OK, but most likely will not ever be posing to this group again.  Rene went to hospital about a month ago with mobility and heart issues and he is now about to be moved to a long-term care facility. He has accepted in his situation and with his uncertain health and eyesight issues, that, realistically, he has to give up many of his hobbies - being an avid and very long-term poster to this group is one of those hobbies.

I believe Rene was instrumental in setting up and moving ELUG to groups.io.  Whoever is admin of this group, could you please let me know if there is anything you need from Rene as I am in fairly regular contact with him during this transition and I don't know what his current role is with the group, if any.

If anyone would like me to pass on well wishes to Rene, please feel free to send them directly to me (off list if you prefer) and I will print them and take them with me on my next visit.

Regards to all,
Keehan.

Robert Goshko

Hi Keehan,

My condolences to his wife and his family, Rene was an active member in ELUG as far as I can remember, farewell Rene.

On Dec 15, 2019, at 12:00 PM, Keehan Dowd <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

LeRoy Archer

My condolences to his family and friends.
He helped many with their problems, and will be greatly missed.

A sad day indeed.

--
Later......

LeRoy C. Archer

If guns kill people......mine must be defective.

Life is like a bowl of cherries........pits in every one.

Gordon Haverland

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 12:00:06 -0700
"Keehan Dowd" <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

Dear ELUG Members,
Farewell Rene.

Bart Oleksy

He definitely brought a unique perspective to the mailing list - he will be missed.

[...]

Rajiv D

My condolences to his family. May his soul Rest In Peace. He will be missed.

- Rajiv

On Dec 15, 2019, at 12:01, Keehan Dowd <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

[...]

joah

Ah, life is but a pathway of reflections and dreams.  I still recall our friend's vivid messages, may he rise tranquil to his fathers domain until kingdom comes.

[...]

John Hanley

I am so very sad to hear this news. I always appreciated Rene's contribution to this group. He was very helpful and had a unique perspective on things. It won't be the same without him.

John