Topics

Pi problems (2 machines)

Gordon Haverland

Pi #2 is a genuine RPi-3B+. I don't have the LED screen on the case
"installed" yet.

I am installing Pi-Hole on this computer. The OS is Raspbian (which
probably means that stupid systemd is there too). Like many things,
there are install questions which cause grief.

I know of Google DNS, and I am not preferring to use them. I have
used OpenDNS in the past, but I did not know they are part of Cisco.
What seemed best to me, was to use Cloudflare DNS. Good choice? Bad
choice?

Then pops up a blurb on primacy settings for FTL. I don't see a need
for logging, so I am turning off statistics. Good decision? Bad?

-----
Pi #3 is a Pinebook Pro laptop (Rockchip 3399). I tried installing the
NVME SSD today (twice). The ribbon cable has a bit of "twist" to it.
It doesn't boot, on battery or off wall wart. I'm hoping I didn't hurt
anything. I suppose I could pull the SSD, and see if it boots with
just the MicroSD in it (like before I started to add this).

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks.

Darcy Glasier

Gord,

In regards to pihole, I would turn logging on such that you can see what hosts are being blocked at which domains.  Also, if you are getting blocked when you don't want to you can always whitlist certain domains, likewise you can add additional blacklist domains to tighten things up.  but without logs, you wont be able to troubleshoot and tweak...

I started with a RPI-3B as well, but changed to run mine on a bare bones Debian VM with 512 M of ram that spins inside my NAS and works great!  This frees up that Rpi for other projects!  But, if you have nowhere to spin a VM 24/7 the PI is great with it's low power usage.  For me, the NAS is spinning there 24/7 anyhow, so this ended up makeing more sense, and gave me back that rpi for something else!

For DNS I used Quad9 (filtered, DNSSEC), I liked how they had multiple options...   I also did not want to use google for sure, or any with (ECS), but can't comment on which would be best, or on Cloudflare...

In regards to the pine book pro, I can't help much as I dont have one, but that is awesome that you got one!  I would love to try one out!
Perhaps you can still boot with MicroSD, and have Grub on there that gives option to boot off a partition on the SSD? Good Luck.

Regards,
Darcy

Gordon Haverland

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 08:02:49 -0800
"Darcy Glasier" <dglasier@...> wrote:

Gord,

In regards to pihole, I would turn logging on such that you can see
what hosts are being blocked at which domains.  Also, if you are
getting blocked when you don't want to you can always whitlist
certain domains, likewise you can add additional blacklist domains to
tighten things up.  but without logs, you wont be able to
troubleshoot and tweak...
I guess I can run logs for a while, but at some point I think I should
stop.

I started with a RPI-3B as well, but changed to run mine on a bare
bones Debian VM with 512 M of ram that spins inside my NAS and
works great!  This frees up that Rpi for other projects!  But, if you
have nowhere to spin a VM 24/7 the PI is great with it's low power
usage.  For me, the NAS is spinning there 24/7 anyhow, so this ended
up makeing more sense, and gave me back that rpi for something else!
At some point, I am going to have a GPS base station and NTP server
(GPS based) here. I have an Odroid-C2 and a Rock Pi 4 to run those 2
functions. It will probably be the Odroid for NTP, and the Rock Pi 4
for GPS.

For DNS I used Quad9 ( filtered, DNSSEC), I liked how they had
multiple options...   I also did not want to use google for sure, or
any with (ECS), but can't comment on which would be best, or on
Cloudflare...

In regards to the pine book pro, I can't help much as I dont have
one, but that is awesome that you got one!  I would love to try one
out! Perhaps you can still boot with MicroSD, and have Grub on there
that gives option to boot off a partition on the SSD? Good Luck.
I guess the SSD I have, draws too much power. So, I have an Intel 660p
coming. It draws a little over half the power of the HP EX920.

No grub, it is uboot. I think it looks to microSD first, and eMMC
second (and no chance of booting direct to NVMe). The Rock Pi 4 (same
chip as the Pinebook Pro) I believe they think they will eventually be
able to boot direct to NVMe. What I might eventually hope for, is to
boot from eMMC with the root partition on NVMe for both.

Thanks Darcy.