Topics

Other Ubiquiti stuff (router)

Gordon Haverland

I gather it isn't a router, it is a security gateway.

The price of a Ubuquiti security gateway isn't all that much higher
than a TP-Link WR 1043N which I already have. And an Archer C7.

But, my PTP to my ISP is a Ubquiti. At the moment, having a cloud key
with just a single managed switch is overkill. I suspect a bunch of
the data the cloud key can show, depends on a Ubiquiti router (aka
security gateway).

How much is lost with non-ubiquiti stuff non being main chain?

Andrew Stott

The USG will give you some interesting data about your internet traffic such as the different sites/apps that are using the data. This requires turning on Deep Packet Inspection. The USG cannot handle high traffic if you enable the intusion protection/detection, however you likely will not hit that bottleneck with your connection.

Ubiquiti runs multiple lines of products and they don't talk to each other for management. The cloud key can only manage devices in the Unifi line (access points, switches, and the USG). The point to point radio from your ISP cannot be brought into the system.

I ran the USG for awhile and ended up back at psfense (since gone to Untangle), however I might look at one of the new USG Pros after CRA gives me back my tax money.

Andrew

I gather it isn't a router, it is a security gateway.

The price of a Ubuquiti security gateway isn't all that much higher than a TP-Link WR 1043N which I already have. And an Archer C7.

But, my PTP to my ISP is a Ubquiti. At the moment, having a cloud key with just a single managed switch is overkill. I suspect a bunch of the data the cloud key can show, depends on a Ubiquiti router (aka security gateway).

How much is lost with non-ubiquiti stuff non being main chain?

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 04:48:50 +0000
"Andrew Stott" <andrew@...> wrote:

The USG cannot handle high traffic if you enable the intusion
protection/detection, however you likely will not hit that bottleneck
with your connection.
My connection to the Internet is only about 300-400 kB/s. Yes, the PTP
can move data faster, but my connection is throttled.