Topics

OTA recording and stream profile

John Hanley

In my OTA recording settings in tvheadend, I am presented multiple options for stream profile:

    HTSP Profile
    MPEG-TS Pass-thru Profile
    Matroska Profile
    MPEG-TS/libav Profile
    Matroska/libav Profile
    MP4/libav Profile
    Transcode Profile

Currently it is set for passthru. I believe that records the raw MPEG2 stream? Are any of the other streams a better option?

Thanks,

John

Keehan Dowd

For streaming, I find Matroska more reliable if my client (usually me streaming from a hotel) is on a crappy internet connection and I keep the bitrate down fairly low to around 600-700 Kbps max.   For recording I like to keep it in it's original raw source format.   The raw MPEG2 stream off-air is fairly bitrate intensive which is usually not a problem if you're temporarily storing and distributing it on your local home network.   I use MP4 and/or Vorbis to transcode recordings for long term storage.

Cheers,
Keehan.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:06 PM John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
In my OTA recording settings in tvheadend, I am presented multiple
options for stream profile:

     HTSP Profile
     MPEG-TS Pass-thru Profile
     Matroska Profile
     MPEG-TS/libav Profile
     Matroska/libav Profile
     MP4/libav Profile
     Transcode Profile

Currently it is set for passthru. I believe that records the raw MPEG2
stream? Are any of the other streams a better option?

Thanks,

John

John Hanley

Thanks!

I am recording and then using Plex for playback. I am perceiving a slightly noticeable frame rate on playback. It's not huge, but I am trying to determine if what I am perceiving is the recording quality or the transcoding from Plex. I am thinking it's the transcoding. I want the playback to be as smooth as possible knowing that my Core i5 server isn't doing a whole lot else at the time of playback.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

John

On 2019-09-11 1:15 p.m., Keehan Dowd wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking that's probably the player or the transcoder.  Are you able to play the raw mpeg recording (I do it from the command line with ffplay or mpv or similar)?  Transcoding still needs a bit of oomph at HDTV resolution.   Does it show on your i5's CPU utilization?

On 2019-09-11 1:15 p.m., Keehan Dowd wrote:
[...]

I just deleted all my test video files because they were so huge. I'll record something and get back to you.

I did previously test out playing the files from the tvheadend web gui. I used "Videos" (not sure which application that is) and it played the recording. I can't recall how smoothly.

Where do I find  CPU utilization?

thanks!

John

On 2019-09-11 1:15 p.m., Keehan Dowd wrote:
[...]

I run htop or just top from my command line on the transcoding server...