Topics

OT: Security advice from Google

Gordon Haverland

Sometime overnight, I got an email which appears to be from google (I
looked at all the headers). The subject was:

Subject: Help us protect you: Security advice from Google

The email contains no advice. It just has a URL one is supposed to
click on, which probably just tells google that the account is still
"active". Someplace in the URL is the string security-checkup. But,
I could stick "apple-pie" in a URL and easy have nothing to do with
apple pie in the document it points at.

Once upon a time, I probably registered something with google, but with
all the nonsense they have been doing for years, I see little point in
verifying an email with some supposed security-check hocus pocus.

Or is there really some security thing at the end of this "rainbow"?

Thanks.

Rene Matthijssen

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.....
I personally would not trust anything labeled: GOOGLE and SECURITY.
Seems like a contradiction in terms to me.
Rene

On 2019-08-07 9:10 a.m., Gordon Haverland wrote:
Sometime overnight, I got an email which appears to be from google (I
looked at all the headers).  The subject was:

The email contains no advice.  It just has a URL one is supposed to
click on, which probably just tells google that the account is still
"active".  Someplace in the  URL is the string security-checkup.  But,
I could stick "apple-pie" in a URL and easy have nothing to do with
apple pie in the document it points at.

Once upon a time, I probably registered something with google, but with
all the nonsense they have been doing for years, I see little point in
verifying an email  with some supposed security-check hocus pocus.

Or is there really some security thing at the end of this "rainbow"?

Thanks.

Rene Matthijssen

Warning! This is a scam letter. Never respond to it.

http://scamletters.info/2018/09/help-us-protect-you-security-advice-from-google-2/