Topics

OT: Satellites, as it GOES

Gordon Haverland

SpaceWeather.com has another satellite note. Scott Tilley of the
Sunshine Coast of BC, has noticed that GOES-13 is not where it is
supposed to be. SpaceWeather provides a link to Scott Tilley's blog
note on this. At some point, Scott made a twit about this, and got a
reply (which was subsequently deleted) about the possibility of the USA
military using old GOES satellites for non-NOAA missions.

Anyway, the discussion touches on some IMAGE history that was also
interesting.

I've no idea if either GOES or IMAGE had Linux as the O/S.

Frederick R. McDougall

I have no knowledge of current GOES satellites but the early ones were weather for the public  (10%) and the rest was military.  Same for the Russians.  Why change?
Fred

On Wed., Sep. 11, 2019, 09:30 Gordon Haverland, <ghaverla@...> wrote:
SpaceWeather.com has another satellite note.  Scott Tilley of the
Sunshine Coast of BC, has noticed that GOES-13 is not where it is
supposed to be.  SpaceWeather provides a link to Scott Tilley's blog
note on this.  At some point, Scott made a twit about this, and got a
reply (which was subsequently deleted) about the possibility of the USA
military using old GOES satellites for non-NOAA missions.

Anyway, the discussion touches on some IMAGE history that was also
interesting.

I've no idea if either GOES or IMAGE had Linux as the O/S.

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 15:20:11 -0600
"Frederick R. McDougall" <frmcdo@...> wrote:

I have no knowledge of current GOES satellites but the early ones were
weather for the public (10%) and the rest was military. Same for the
Russians. Why change?
From what I was reading, there are currently 3 "retired" GOES
satellites in some kind of "parking" orbit. The GOES-13 is the oldest
of the three. It would seem that the other two are in parking orbits
more applicable to helping if some of the other "current" GOES
satellites develop hiccups of some kind.

But whenever it was (2 or so years ago), it was announced that GOES-13
would be retired and "parked". And then Scott Tilley finds it, and it
is nowhere near where it is supposed to be. And there was no notice
given that this satellite was going to be moved.