Topics

OT: Satellite TV alternatives (only 1 channel OTA)

Gordon Haverland

I'm on Shaw. I was never interested in HD, and now that has pushed
through and all programming seems to be HD.

My local plumbing supplier has a sign up. You can't cure stupid with a
2x4, but you can numb it.

Do we need to bash Shaw every day?

They supposedly have 1000 channels, not all we are subscribed to.

There are a huge chunk of channels which now read (only available in
HD). If I pick Sports, I may find that there is TSN1, TSN2, TSN3,
TSN4, TSN5. And all of them have the same content. So, if you go
scanning all 1000 channels, you can probably find 300 repeats. Out of
1000 channels, maybe 150 are useful.

The problem tonight, is Mom wants something for an hour or two, and the
golf channel has no golf. They are playing a movie at least twice, one
after the other.

A channel she likes, and I don't mind if it repeats, has a program
called reflections. A bunch of biblical quotes, nice scenery and easy
to listen to soundtrack.

But, when we signed on to Shaw, there was very little we were
interested in, and it has gotten worse. And the prices have been
rising at about 6% per year.

OTA isn't an option. There is 1 station. It used to be CBC affiliated
long ago, it is now part of the Bell CrapMedia empire. They have 3 or
4 radio stations in the area; I think there is 1 brain cell between all
the employees of all the stations. It's a farming community, and they
never tell you the weather!

I have no idea if Netflix is an option. Finding things relevant to
TODAY is useful (we used to call it news, but now news seems to be
something else). But, I am not on a high speed link. I sometimes get
more than 400k on download, but there are times when 150k is all that
is there.

Any ideas? Besides starting my own TV station.

I have thought about starting a completely automated FM radio-station.
I started writing code in Perl for it, haven't worked on it in a couple
of years.

Roger Walker

I also have several projects started, and now on hold :-)

For me, it was Shaw’s DVR that broke the camel’s back. The second time that it spontaneously deleted many hundreds of hours of recorded programming, with not even an apology from them, I cancelled my cable TV completely. And it is almost zero probability that I would ever get anything from telus, ever.

I do, however, still have Internet. I do have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime, as well as some other legitimate sources of “TV entertainment.” I have often gotten DVDs from Goodwill and Value Village, and then donated them back or passed them on to others when I was done - still have quite a few here I haven’t seen yet.

Part of the reason I can’t keep up is that there is far more than I should be watching, anyway. It ends up that I spend more time, these days, with fitness, dance, and socializing - all of which are a more valuable use of my time.

I would tend to disagree, however, with your estimate of 150 useful channels. Personally, I was only able to find 5-10 - I consider most programming to be crap.

I’m currently binge watching 10(?) seasons of JAG - one ~40 minute episode each time I get on the rowing machine :-) I’ll finish the series in no time :-)

I would expect “city folk” that were in your environment to be quickly bored and lament the lack of TV. But your environment should give you lots of opportunity to be engaged, either alone or with others. Collectively, we really need to disengage from technology much more.

On Sep 24, 2019, at 8:51 PM, Gordon Haverland <ghaverla@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Walker MMT RMT

Frederick R. McDougall

Gorden
I too have a very low tolerance for modern tv.  Via a very tortured path I have ended up with Shaw cable internet only and search the volumous utube channels for entertainment.  This is also available via Telus DSL service.  I don't know if satellite services will do this though so you may have to look for a microwave internet provider.  Good luck.
Fred

On Tue., Sep. 24, 2019, 20:51 Gordon Haverland, <ghaverla@...> wrote:
[...]

Keehan Dowd

This guy out of Ontario purports the following to list "free and legal" streamed OTA channels for all across Canada.   I offer no opinion either way, but put it out for your consideration: https://publicdomainradio.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Regards,
Keehan.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019, 8:51 PM Gordon Haverland, <ghaverla@...> wrote:
[...]

Maybe more background is useful, not that I don't like what Roger and
Frederick have written.

I gave up on TV about 15 years ago. If Mom and I travel some place,
that is about the only time I spend any time watching TV. And it is
not because I want to watch TV really. I snore, and so I want Mom to
get some sleep, and possibly to a point where she can't hear me snoring
(she requires hearing aids to hear well) before I try to go to sleep.

Mom's memory isn't that good. I could somehow get copies of a few good
Golf tournaments, and if all the golf channel has on, have it pick a
tournament at random and start playing it. Assuming I can figure out
all the other stuff about video sources on Linux. But Mom is losing
her ability to find content of interest on her own.

The idea of a "news cycle" is completely annoying to me. The news
sources nominally run on 30 minutes, and repeat. After say 4 repeats,
they get a new person basically spouting the same message. So people
are deceived into thinking the news is always the most current, and
that a change in presenter is a change in the news. I suspect there
are times when the news channels broadcast more than half their 30
minute news content over more than a day or two.

Mom's memory isn't necessarily bad, as it is inconsistent. There are
times when she can remember things with remarkable clarity from things
current or distant (in the past).

Mom was interested in biographies, but she is finding she doesn't
remember enough to watch them now. We stopped at Coles book store in
GP last weekend. And there was a book about Sally Fields in the
biography section. I know I watched her flying around as a nun when I
was a kid, so Mom seen bits and pieces occasionally. Mon had no idea
who Sally Fields was (at that moment). But even if you had access to a
directory of biographies on a server, is Mom going to recognize any of
the names there?

If I was living by myself, the TV connection is toast. It wasn't worth
the $70 or so a month they charged when we started, and it is worth
much less now (at $90+ per month).

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:07:31 -0600
"Roger Walker" <roger@...> wrote:

I do have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime,
All I know of Amazon Prime, is that they keep pestering me to join when
I buy things.

I would tend to disagree, however, with your estimate of 150 useful
channels. Personally, I was only able to find 5-10 - I consider most
programming to be crap.
I was trying to be conservative. Tonight, I scanned all 1000 channels
3 times, before giving up. There was NOTHING on.

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:07:45 -0600
"Frederick R. McDougall" <frmcdo@...> wrote:

I too have a very low tolerance for modern tv. Via a very tortured
path I have ended up with Shaw cable internet only and search the
volumous utube channels for entertainment. This is also available
via Telus DSL service. I don't know if satellite services will do
this though so you may have to look for a microwave internet
provider. Good luck.
My Mom isn't going to be able to search for MeTube content. Myself, I
am not interested.

My phone service is from Telus. Hearing from people who work for Telus
over the years; I would never pick Telus if I had a choice. But I
suppose an outfit like Comcast might be worse?

Roger Walker

I have to display Prime through my computer. It’s attached to a 26.5” screen, so pretty good. I can also run a cable to the TV if I want a larger display (55”). I refuse to buy the device for the TV.

"Roger Walker" <roger@...> wrote:

I do have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime,
All I know of Amazon Prime, is that they keep pestering me to join when
I buy things.

Roger Walker MMT RMT

Gordon Haverland

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:13:14 -0600
"Keehan Dowd" <keehan.dowd@...> wrote:

put it out for your consideration:
Thanks for the link.

I suspect it is possible now, that people could come "to town" on
election day (I don't know when it is, a few weeks away) and see all
the election BS signs around and wonder what is happening.

This problem first came up with the print media; people stopped being
interested. And they started stuffing more advertising in their
package. And people have become even less interested. To the point
where local news may not be possible; unless you live in a city of
10,000 or more. And even then; not guaranteed.

But radio and TV seem to be following this same path. Is this some
byproduct of that crappy MBA degree?