Topics

OT: Mobile Providers

John Hanley

My wife has to hand in her work phone and we are looking for an inexpensive wireless plan. Mostly talk and text but some data for maps and such.

Her work "pay as you go" plan was something like a $0.01 per minute for calls and $0.01 for text. Something cheap for data. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Roger Walker

I ended up taking my phone to Fido and I’m on a $35 plan month by month plan. 300 talk hours, unlimited weekend and 7 p.m. (or maybe 5 p.m.) to 7 a.m.(?). Originally .5 Gig data, but they upgraded 1 or 2 more at no cost (I hardly use any). Each time I have checked plans with other carriers, this one is still best for my needs. Maybe there’s an obscure carrier with a better deal, or things changed since I last checked.

On Sep 12, 2019, at 1:44 PM, John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:

My wife has to hand in her work phone and we are looking for an inexpensive wireless plan. Mostly talk and text but some data for maps and such.

Her work "pay as you go" plan was something like a $0.01 per minute for calls and $0.01 for text. Something cheap for data. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Roger Walker MMT RMT

Bart Oleksy

There's a lot out there these days, aside from the Big Three (Rogers, Telus, Bell) and Freedom.

Freedom has some good deals, but I've seen comments about their coverage not being as good as the established companies.

Many resellers that use the infrastructure of the big boys, too.

I just moved from Zoomer Wireless (uses the Rogers network, $36/month if you use your own device, unlimited talk and text and 4GB of data, but that was with a loyalty deal after 6 months) to Public Mobile. There was a promo for an RBC credit card to take $10 off per month on any plan $40 and over, plus an extra $2 discount for setting up "Auto Pay". Data is on the LTE network but at 3G speeds. I didn't see that fine print until after committing, but it's been mostly OK so far. I don't use tons of data, though.

Once my wife's (and daughter's) prepaid credits are used up with Speakout (Rogers reseller) I'll likely switch them to Public Mobile's $15/month plan (100 voice minutes, unlimited incoming calls, unlimited text, 250MB with Auto-pay plus $2/month discount). If you decide on Public Mobile, I can refer you so you get a $10 credit.

Lucky Mobile is out there as well with some good deals.

Redflagdeals.com's hot deals forum has lots of talk about various cell phone plans and companies, too.

Good luck!

Bart

My wife has to hand in her work phone and we are looking for an inexpensive wireless plan. Mostly talk and text but some data for maps and such.

Her work "pay as you go" plan was something like a $0.01 per minute for calls and $0.01 for text. Something cheap for data. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Anthony Tuininga

I'd suggest checking out Public Mobile: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/ They run on Telus' networks. I've been using them for 3+ years. $25/month gives you unlimited talk across Canada, international text and 1 GB/month. There are other plans if you have other needs. Note that they are online only (you can get a SIM from some Wal-Mart kiosks) and you have to bring your own phone. If you can stomach those restrictions it works great. :)

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 1:44 PM John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
My wife has to hand in her work phone and we are looking for an
inexpensive wireless plan. Mostly talk and text but some data for maps
and such.

Her work "pay as you go" plan was something like a $0.01 per minute for
calls and $0.01 for text. Something cheap for data. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Manuel Eller

I just recently switched to Public Mobile. 1 Gig of data and free calls Canada wide. Easily enough for a little bit of maps. When you start streaming video though that might not be enough. Costs me $25 a month. I get a discount for paying through credit card which Public Mobile triggers every month. I like it. Is on the Telus network too.

“John Hanley” <linux@...> – September 12, 2019 1:45 PM

My wife has to hand in her work phone and we are looking for an inexpensive wireless plan. Mostly talk and text but some data for maps and such.

Her work “pay as you go” plan was something like a $0.01 per minute for calls and $0.01 for text. Something cheap for data. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

John Hanley

Very interesting!

I'll have a closer look. I don't mind dealing only online. I remember landing at Gatwick airport in London, buying a sim card from Lebara Mobile at the airport, popping it in, loading money on it, ordering an Uber and away we went. Never had a problem with them.

Thanks for the responses!

Any other recommendations, let me know!

Thanks!

John

On 2019-09-12 1:52 p.m., Anthony Tuininga wrote:
[...]

o1bigtenor

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:02 PM John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:

Very interesting!

I'll have a closer look. I don't mind dealing only online. I remember landing at Gatwick airport in London, buying a sim card from Lebara Mobile at the airport, popping it in, loading money on it, ordering an Uber and away we went. Never had a problem with them.
Cheap plans really depend upon your 'needs' most people buy for their 'wants'.
I tracked my usage and then bought accordingly.
Above Speakout was somewhat poopooed but I would suggest that if you
are only making maybe a short call or two a day and maybe not every
day and your data needs are NOT extreme IMO
Speakout needs a minimum of use in a year which I now have a hard time
with but most don't. YMMV

Regards

Rajiv D

Give this a try “publicmobile.ca”.