Topics

OT: Mitts for outdoors

Gordon Haverland

I've had a good pair of mitts for many years. Not meant for work, but
for skiing. A day or two ago, I picked up a board and found that it
happened to have a nail where my hand was, completely ripped the finger
area covering. I guess it wasn't ripstop nylon or some other tough
fabric. :-)

MEC has mitts, from fairly low prices ($20 or so?) to a bit over $200.
The expensive ones tend to be for mountaineering. Some have "magnetic"
clasps so you can get your fingers out. I've no idea if those things
work.

But, while MEC tends to have good stuff at fair prices, I went looking
for other information. Popular Mechanics recently did a mitts and
gloves review. They are USA oriented, so their prices are USD. In
second place for mitts, was something from Carhartt (sp?). I think in
USD they were $31 or so, and I found them in Canada for $36 or
something. That's about the difference in exchange I think.

The first place mitt, had cowskin outers (which is much tougher than
the fabric my mitts have). In the USA, they are marketed as
affordable, and were something like $36. Both Amazon.ca and Walmart
Canada have these mitts at over $90. Supposedly RefrigiWear exports to
Canada. I wonder what the think the price will be landed in Canada?

I might have some errors in my prices from memory.

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 19:08:00 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

The first place mitt, had cowskin outers (which is much tougher than
the fabric my mitts have). In the USA, they are marketed as
affordable, and were something like $36. Both Amazon.ca and Walmart
Canada have these mitts at over $90. Supposedly RefrigiWear exports
to Canada. I wonder what the think the price will be landed in
Canada?
Hmm, take the current USA retail price (quantity 1), add shipping
(quantity 1) and duty and apply an exchange rate. Take this quantity 1
price to Canada, multiply by 1.5 and you have the price a major
retailer charges to bring in lots of these mitts to Canada. Of course
that seems a fair and just way to determine price.

Dwayne Reid

Good day to all.

I have had an excellent pair of gloves that I purchased from Mark's Work Wearhouse. Made by Wind River and better than anything else that I have used up to this point in time. Very thin leather outer with something like Thinsulate (or better) as the lining. What I liked so much about them was that I had good "feel" when using them.

My recollection is that they were somewhere near Can $40 - or perhaps somewhat less.

Sadly, I lost one glove last winter. I'm heading back to Mark's this week to find a replacement pair.

dwayne

At 07:08 PM 11/10/2019, Gordon Haverland wrote:
[...]

Dwayne Reid <dwayner@...>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd Edmonton, AB, CANADA
780-489-3199 voice 780-487-6397 fax 888-489-3199 Toll Free
www.trinity-electronics.com
Custom Electronics Design and Manufacturing

Gordon Haverland

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:43:24 -0700
"Dwayne Reid" <dwayner@...> wrote:

I have had an excellent pair of gloves that I purchased from Mark's
Work Wearhouse. Made by Wind River and better than anything else
I looked at the Mark's Work Wearhouse in Dawson Creek, and they only
seemed to have Dakota mitts. I wasn't paying attention to Wind River.
They were supposed to have Carhartt (the #2 I had run across).

I have several pairs of work gloves for not too cold, and for fairly
cold. I think I should get some good work mitts, and maybe replace my
damaged non-work mitts with something (I am thinking Mountain Equipment
Coop for the non-work mitts). I think the most expensive MEC mitts are
$220 or something. I'm not buying those.

But thanks for your feedback Dwayne.