Topics

OT: Hobbies for Mom

Gordon Haverland

As in the subject; this is off topic.

My Mom started working (being kicked off the farm, so to speak) about
age 15. And at times she worked 2 jobs for long periods of time
(midnight to 7; 9-5). At one point, she worked 24/7 for about 2 weeks
at a coffee shop.

She spent her life "working", the idea of hobbies never came up. She
needs hobbies, as the only one she has at this point (she is 87) is
golf. And there is no golf here in winter.

She did some "gardening" when she was a child, and has no interest in
that. Most of what I am doing; looks like gardening.

I read recent articles about some person in Nova Scotia getting all of
his students to notice "spring". Maybe Mom could do that. Sort of
like bird watching, butterfly watching and so on.

I would guess that today, you want a camera which can report GPS
coordinates (possibly with the help of a local base station) and
orientation? And possibly binoculars to find places to take pictures
from?

Ideas?

Comments on software to allow someone to do this?

Thanks.

Gord

Roger Walker

Hmm. It sounds like your post says what she doesn’t want to do, and what you DO want her to do.

Maybe it could start with her own interests (which she might have to discover), and then a variety of ways that she might pursue them.

If she’s gregarious, that could be a good starting point. Social groups can be places to discover new possibilities, because everyone brings different experiences to the table. Dance can be good for any age, and is more fun than mall walking. If she likes nature, photography is one option, but so is painting or drawing. If she like photography, maybe nature or portraiture. Because she has had a mostly working life and can’t fathom a “hobby," perhaps volunteer work.

Rather than provide a solution to what you think would work for her, encourage and help her to explore the possibilities, then help her to realize ones she thinks will work for her.

On Aug 31, 2019, at 7:36 PM, Gordon Haverland <ghaverla@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Walker MMT RMT

Gordon Haverland

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 20:07:19 -0600
"Roger Walker" <roger@...> wrote:

Hmm. It sounds like your post says what she doesn’t want to do, and
what you DO want her to do.
I don't want her to DO anything. But the only hobby she has ever
developed is golf. And that is only appropriate about half the year.
And the other half of the year it can be rainy, too windy and so on.

The last time I went looking for hobbies for her, was the beginning of
summer with respect to the school year. The local senior's centre had
a kind of "lawn bowling" which looks like curling. She seemed to enjoy
it; but it was the last time they were doing it until fall (about now
it should be restarting). They also had Tai Chi Chuan, which also
stopped for the summer.

But for the most part, she has never had hobbies; so she has no idea
what to look into. She never enjoyed gardening as a child, so I am not
pushing anything that looks like gardening on her. She has been
volunteering at a local Pentecostal church; which she enjoys. But that
is only about 2 hours per week She has asked the people there about
hobbies; with no things which click. A week ago; we looked into the
local Anglican church (which has a soup kitchen) about volunteering, so
she may get some time and ideas from there.

But, if summer when most people being outside is a problem to
find things to do; winter which is yet to come is much worse. Which is
why I posted things.

Thanks for the ideas Roger.