Topics

OT: Health electronics

Gordon Haverland

This spring, my Mom started not sleeping well and/or getting severe
headaches. We (her GP, the local hospital emergency and me) are still
trying to figure out what is going on. Some of this may be related to
a car accident she had 2 years ago (she had her bell rung really well
in that).

We now have a two South Korean HEPA air cleaners in the house, one in
her bedroom and one in the front room (it can handle a slightly larger
room). I picked up a "3 room" mold spore air sampling kit, with the
idea that the next time she has another one of these headaches I can
get an outdoor sample and 3 room samples and send them off for
analysis. Mold spores is one possibility, pollen is another. I don't
know if there are others. It is getting late in the year for pollen.

Whenever we go to the emergency, they take her vitals (temperature,
blood pressure, pulse, blood oxygenation).

I picked up an IR thermometer. The last 2 or 3 times she has
complained of headache, I have taken her temperature at the centre of
her forehead. And it has been less than usual. After talking to her
GP today, it seems I need to measure temperature in more places
(left/right forehead, and left/right temple). This temperature reader
seems to be okay for all this.

I looked at blood pressure stuff, and I haven't a clue. There seems to
be no correlation between quality and price at the low end of the
scale. When a person has a headache, a natural response of the body is
to raise blood pressure. So, it may not even be useful to measure
blood pressure. But, if a person was going to do this, I think you
would want to do it on a schedule after noticing the headache had
started (say, every 5 minutes?).

I haven't looked for things to measure pulse or blood oxygenation
electronically. I believe some "smartphones" have "yApps" that can
measure these things. Mom doesn't have a smartphone, and the one I
have will NOT be loaded up with crap software and is never connected to
the phone system anyway (it is too old to ever consider it being
secure).

Any suggestions on blood pressure, pulse, blood oxygenation? Other
stuff?

Thanks.

Frederick R. McDougall

Gordon
No answers to your question.  But several years ago I suffered harsh headaches along with tinnitus.  Someone suggested white noise at all times ie interstation static on an am radio.  It worked somewhat until lightning season when I changed to all night talk radio which did the trick for me.  Other ideas are recordings of rusling leaves, running water, etc.  Total trial and abandon situation until something unusual works.  My headaches turned out to be stress related and the tinnitus I have learned to live with (or got deafer).

If you find an answer to your electronic question please pass it on as I should be monitoring as well.
Fred

On Mon., Sep. 16, 2019, 19:45 Gordon Haverland, <ghaverla@...> wrote:
[...]

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 20:38:29 -0600
"Frederick R. McDougall" <frmcdo@...> wrote:

No answers to your question. But several years ago I suffered harsh
headaches along with tinnitus. Someone suggested white noise at all
times ie interstation static on an am radio. It worked somewhat
until lightning season when I changed to all night talk radio which
did the trick for me. Other ideas are recordings of rusling leaves,
running water, etc. Total trial and abandon situation until
something unusual works. My headaches turned out to be stress
related and the tinnitus I have learned to live with (or got deafer).
I had downloaded some mostly instrumental music which plays from one
computer of mine to a bluetooth speaker in Mom's room. The volume is
such that Mom should not be consciously hearing it. I believe it is
loud enough that the brain can "sync" to it.