Topics

OT: Freedom Mobile

John Hanley

I have a really old Wind plan that gives me unlimited talk/text/data for $35/month. Sounds good. Except I get throttled at 2 GB (which a don't seem to use anyway). And my talk is no good as soon as I leave Edmonton. Then it's roaming which I pay for. And roaming data is really hit and miss it seems. And I sporadically get switched to roaming in Edmonton (like when I am in the basement) which uses up my pre-paid balance.

So Freedom is rather frustrating despite the seemingly awesome price of this really old introductory offer.

Does anyone else have similar problems with Freedom? Is it worth switching to a different provider like Lucky Mobile where I know I'll at least get consistent service?

All comments welcome.

Thanks!

John

Keehan Dowd

$35 prepaid will get you 1.5GB unlimited talk/text Canada wide with Public Mobile on the Telus /Bell network.  4.5GB for $40/month.

I have four lines with Freedom and I was going to change to Public Mobile back in the summer, but I phoned Freedom and talked to them before switching.  My problem was the same as yours, only my kids were hitting their data limits every month.  Freedom ended up giving me 10GB (they call it 8 + 2 bonus) for $35/mo on each line.  So maybe just talking to them might get you a better deal.

I'm still keeping Public Mobile as a hot 2nd contender though.  They win out on the network coverage, but to be honest, Freedom is much better now with their LTE rollout coverage and their roaming agreements are far better than they used to be as well.  For my family needs, considering they rarely leave the city (and teenagers who love to chew through their data!), it was worth it to stay with Freedom.

Regards,
Keehan.