Topics

MTP and Android phone

Gordon Haverland

Some music playing programs feel a person _HAS_ to have libmtp9
installed, if you want to play music. So, I happen to have libmtp9 and
libmtp-common installed.

Plug in Android over usb cable, and I get a zillion notifications of
problems in the GUI session, and I get errors in the log and console.

Stack Exchange has a page about getting some kind of Samsung phone to
talk to Debian, my Asus should approximate the Samsung.

The first thing talked about is setting up some kind of udev/rules.d/
file for Android devices. They mention two ATTR problems, but what is
the problem? The problem is that I used parentheses when I should have
been using braces

ATTR(idVendor} and ATTR{idProduct}

Then it complains about owner="[username]". It finally accepts

owner="gord"

So, the udev usb rule seems to be working. I still have a zillion
error notifications in the GUI.

lsusb did a little in stumbling through the above, but mtp-detect (part
of mtp-tools) works better. Except that most of its output goes to
STDERR, not STDOUT.

The next step in this miscellaneous collection of MTP packages seems to
be to install jtmpfs (I believe).

I had installed just about everything earlier, and it wasn't working
with all of them. I had tried reconfiguring the packages, every -plow
reconfiguration did nothing as far as I can tell.

So, I will see what this j thing does.

I am running LXQT in the GUI, so it is probably pcman (yet another GUI
fie manager that I don't want anyway) that is generating all these
gazillion error notifications.

If someone has a quick way through setting this up, that would be
wonderful. :-)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 12:51:58 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

pcman
actually, pcmanfm-qt. Anyway, I found a way to edit its preferences
and got it to quit trying to automatically mount every new device. So
that killed the gazillion notifications problem (well, sort of).

libmtp-common contains udev/rules.d that sit in /lib (not /etc). So, I
found the rule for the device in question. The line it has, does not
start with

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",

I tried it with and without that SUBSYSTEM stanza, and neither one
allows it to properly set up by udev.

Still arguing with things.

Another computer on my LAN (not currently running) has connected to
this Android and downloaded files. Is it possible that the Android is
recognizing that the computer connecting to it today, is not the same
as the computer that had connected to it (and done some ADB stuff), and
so it is the Android that is issuing a USB disconnect?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:38:08 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

Still arguing with things.
Going into the phone, and (seemingly) disabling sleep mode when plugged
in helps a little, but the phone is still generating so many
disconnects, that the GUI notification system will not let you use the
GUI in any kind of an easy manner.

Power quality seems to be an ongoing theme. Suggestions of a powered
USB hub are common.

Should I need one? This is in a pretty much full size case with a full
AT motherboard and a Corsair 750W digital power supply. There is a USB
bluetooth device plugged in, would it be drawing that much power?
Maybe it needs a powered hub?