Topics

iPhone for sale?

John Hanley

I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones". Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

Maurice Hilarius <mhilarius@...>

Yes *Android is there"
The hearings aids simply are not.
There are other brands that can be used with Android.
They are just Bluetooth devices

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones".
Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen
to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

Maurice Hilarius <mhilarius@...>

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones".
Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen
to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

John Hanley

Perhaps. Right now the big feature is streaming. I can get Android apps for my new hearing aids. But the primary app just isn't compatible with a OnePlus One. So I have to upgrade my phone anyway. And then only iPhone apps offer direct streaming to the phone. My old ReSound hearing aids had a separate streaming device that you could physically plug things into.

Being able to talk on the phone and having it streamed to my hearing is aids is a pretty big deal.

John

On 2019-02-26 12:06 p.m., Maurice Hilarius wrote:
Yes *Android is there"
The hearings aids simply are not.
There are other brands that can be used with Android.
They are just Bluetooth devices

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones".
Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen
to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

John Hanley

Thanks Maurice,

This is good to know. ReSound makes good hearing aids. I'll check to see when this one is available. I have a 90 day trial on these hearing aids.

John

On 2019-02-26 12:09 p.m., Maurice Hilarius wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones".
Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen
to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

Maurice Hilarius <mhilarius@...>

Still have the old Plus One eh?
Mine still works but is long retired
Would be an old version of Android though.

On 2019-02-26 12:06 p.m., Maurice Hilarius wrote:
Yes *Android is there"
The hearings aids simply are not.
There are other brands that can be used with Android.
They are just Bluetooth devices

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones".
Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen
to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

John Hanley

I spent a lot of money on it 4 years ago. Hard to justify spending $600 plus dollars for a OnePlus 6. But now I have to upgrade to something.

Not sure when the new ReSound will roll out and when the new Google protocol will be rolled out... Decisions decisions

Jinn

On 2019-02-26 12:06 p.m., Maurice Hilarius wrote:
Yes *Android is there"
The hearings aids simply are not.
There are other brands that can be used with Android.
They are just Bluetooth devices

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones".
Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen
to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

Manuel Eller

You could try to update the software of the old OnePlus One through xda-developers. usually you get pretty good and recent new FW. Did that with a Nexus 4 which now runs Android Pie. Crazy but actually works faster than the stock Android.

On 2019-02-26 12:06 p.m., Maurice Hilarius wrote:
Yes *Android is there"
The hearings aids simply are not.
There are other brands that can be used with Android.
They are just Bluetooth devices

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 10:31 John Hanley <linux@...> wrote:
I just purchased a new set of hearing which is "Made for iPhones".
Apparently, iPhones have streaming technology that allow you to listen
to your phone calls directly in your hearing aids. Android is not there yet.

Does anyone have an iPhone 4 or greater they are looking to sell?

Many thanks!

John

Maurice Hilarius <mhilarius@...>

I concur with your thought.

Here is my history.

Like you I bought a OnePlus One.

Stock S was not satisfactory, so a couple of ROMs later, and it still needed more CPU

So I got the Two. Good phone. Still have it. Had to replace the battery after about 18 months, which was not hard to do

That was pretty good, so in 2017 I got the FiveT. I would still be running it, except:

I needed a phone that was compatible with Wind.. I mean Freedom Mobile LTE, and so did my wife.

So I gave her the 5T and I got a Pixel3 XL late last year.

So amazed with this phone. Especially the camera

Mainly it gives you the best Android compatibility.

--
Cheers,
Maurice W. Hilarius

John Hanley

Great feedback.

Thanks Maurice.

John

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019, 8:58 PM Maurice Hilarius <mhilarius@...> wrote:

[...]

Also:

https://www.hearingaidknow.com/made-for-android-hearing-aids

--
Cheers,
Maurice W. Hilarius

John Hanley

Interesting. Seems to fit what I heard from ReSound:

Hello John,

At this time, direct audio streaming with android phone is not available with any ReSound products yet (commercial or Costco). For now, our android customers can use the Phone Clip + accessory for direct audio streaming with mobile phones. Unfortunately we do not have a specific timeline as to when this will be released. However, we are working on it and it will be coming out in the near future.

So I am guessing this year or early next we will see these roll out for Android. I may have to get a cheaper iPhone to take advantage of the technology now and then hopefully I can switch back to Android in a year or two. My hope is that Android compatibility will be a firmware patch in my hearing aids. We'll see.

Thanks for the research, Maurice!
John

On 2019-02-27 8:03 a.m., John Hanley wrote:
Interesting. Seems to fit what I heard from ReSound: ..

Thanks for the research, Maurice!
John

_._,_._,_
You are most welcome.

I suspect that I will be interested in this topic not too long from now.

While my hearing is still "safe", there are notched in the high frequency ranges you could drive a truck through.

--
Cheers,
Maurice W. Hilarius

John Hanley

On 2019-02-27 8:03 a.m., John Hanley wrote:
Interesting. Seems to fit what I heard from ReSound: ..

Thanks for the research, Maurice!
John

_._,_._,_
You are most welcome.

I suspect that I will be interested in this topic not too long from now.

While my hearing is still "safe", there are notched in the high frequency ranges you could drive a truck through.

As an update to this thread, my hearing aid practitioner mentioned that ReSound has worked with Google to develop the protocols necessary for direct-to-hearing aid streaming to work in Android phones. ReSound is launching this feature in the very newest hearing aids just being released and will launch this feature in early 2020 with the Google Pixel 3 with updates. Then they'll work to ensure capability with other Androids. So if you are looking for this technology, wait for the new year and then ask your hearing aid practitioner (mine is Costco Hearing Aid Centre) about the newest ReSound and streaming in Google Pixel 3.

I ended up buying an iPhone 7 for the MFi (made for iPhone) streaming technology. It worked. Then I dropped the phone (even had an Otterbox) and I can no longer hear or speak on voice calls. Repair shop tells me the circuit board needs soldering and it will break again. Apparently the iPhone 7s are susceptible to this. Technology works great for streaming all other audio from the phone though.

John

Rick Forges

My hearing is shot too. been wearing one for 20 yrs. the latest  ; a few years old came with a little remote that i connect to Bluetooth devices (cell, tablet etc.--even connects to the Raspberry Pi) It has an micro usb adapter cable audio jack that connect to any such device , I connect to the computer audio out so I'm headphone free. Some laptops have Bluetooth as well but I find it's sometimes flaky connecting. price $5000.00 some paid by compensation . Are these new ones Bluetooth ? I hear there are 'New' standards coming out. Weather they connect to all devices is ? esp. legacy.

On 2019-02-27 8:03 a.m., John Hanley wrote:
Interesting. Seems to fit what I heard from ReSound: ..

Thanks for the research, Maurice!
John

John Hanley

Yes, my old ReSound hearing aids had an optional streamer that worked with Bluetooth. It had a mic and audio jack for input and could take analog audio and stream it to your hearing aids. ReSound still has audio streamers for this purpose and they are actually even better now that they have moved away from BlueTooth to (I believe) the 2.4 GHz frequency (longer battery life on the hearing aid). However, these devices didn't work with phone calls. There were separate phone clips that could be purchased that would work as well. A lot of additional accessories.

For a little while now iPhone has had it's MFi (Made For iPhone) protocol that allows MFi certified hearing aids to stream audio directly to the hearing aids via Bluetooth. That means mobile phone audio can be streamed directly to the hearing with no other accessories. And it's built right into iPhone. Choose "Hearing Aids" to answer your call just like "Speaker phone". It works really well and has been a game changer for me and making calls on my cell. I can also listen to music in my hearing aids (albeit a very low quality stream) and can get all my iPhone notifications and all system audio streamed directly to my hearing aid.

ReSound hearing aids have now been working with Google to develop the same protocol for Android. My hearing aid practitioner let me know that they will be launching it in early 2020 with the Google Pixel 3 (they just finished their testing) and then they'll test with other Android phones. However, the technology won't be backwards compatible with older hearing aids. Currently only the very newest ReSounds. However, it won't take long for the other manufacturers to introduce it since it will be a part of Android.

This is a really big deal for me. I bought a used iPhone 7 for MFi capability. It worked, then it got banged around a bit, and now phone call audio doesn't work at all. Research tells me the iPhone 7s are susceptible to breaking in this way and requires soldering to the circuit board and will then break again anyway. I am not shelling out more money for another Kijiji iPhone and I won't mortgage my house for a new iPhone, but I think I can swing a Google Pixel 3. And hopefully it won't be long before it works with other Android phones. If this protocol is stock Android, then it should be working soon.

But don't call me on my iPhone in the meantime because I won't (can't) answer ;-). It's now a very small tablet.

Anyway, I deal with Costco because they make hearing aids affordable. If you go to Costco on 91st Street, deal with Whitney the hearing aid manager. She is great!

Cheers!

John

On 2019-02-27 8:03 a.m., John Hanley wrote:
Interesting. Seems to fit what I heard from ReSound: ..

Thanks for the research, Maurice!
John

William Henderson aka Slackrat

"Rick Forges" <@Wingman> writes:

Bluetooth as well but I find it's sometimes flaky connecting. price
$5000.00 some paid by compensation .
Woweee, that's a heavy price.

Personally I have one really bad ear due mainly, so I'm told, to aging
since I'll be 80 come December if I make it that far.

But acoustics-wise I manage with "a few dollar apiece" el-cheapos from
China which allows me to keep several spares for my own use and/or to
give away should anyone need one.

The AG3/AG13 batteries I get from the same source

--
William Henderson
http://billh.sdf.org/slackware.jpg

John Hanley

Check out Costco hearing aid centre. A brand new pair is as little as $2200. Much cheaper than typical retail.