Topics

I sense a disturbance in the force, Luke

Gordon Haverland

Oops, wrong story.

I sense a disturbance in the libc, Linus.

Today, doing some upgrades, I see that three different packages if I
had of updated them, would have resulted in an update to libc.

If you like to keep on top of upgrades for security reasons, it seems
reasonable that at some point in the next little while you will get
forced into upgrading libc. Unstable will likely be sooner than
testing, which is likely to be sooner than stable, which is likely to
be sooner than oldstable.

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 07:40:38 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

I sense a disturbance in the libc, Linus.
I was surprised nobody commented on this. :-)

The upgrade is to libc (or glibc) 2.29.

I've got one computer here which has an AMD APU (with r-250 graphics?),
which has only ever been using the APU side, or the RX-550 side. It
could never do both.

I upgraded to the 5.2 kernel in Debian/Devuan unstable; and it now
loads radeon to handle the APU graphics and amdgpu to do the RX-550.
And both seem to be working.

But, the trip to look at upgrading things this morning, brought up
upgrading libc. So, I decided to upgrade libc on this machine with the
APU and a RX-550) Phoronix has news about the new 2.29 libc; which is
quite a while ago (6 months?). There are situations where this new
libc has quite a performance improvement. For me, I just want to see
this machine crash less often.

I think I will wait a day or two, before I upgrade other machines to
libc 2.29.