Topics

HandBrake and subtitles

John Hanley

I am encoding raw video into mp4 using HandBrakeCLI. The subtitles are there and they are HUGE. I can't find a good resource to show me how to adjust the size at the command line or to just allow for a passthrough. It looks as though they are burned in.

The help doc isn't very clear.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks!

John

Rick Forges

I think once the video is downloaded  it's burned in.  The only thing I see that can be done is to rip  it without subtitles . But I wonder if you can d/l the subtitle file separately and add it after.  Seems I've seen that file available in handbrake.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019, 10:08 PM John Hanley, <linux@...> wrote:
I am encoding raw video into mp4 using HandBrakeCLI. The subtitles are
there and they are HUGE. I can't find a good resource to show me how to
adjust the size at the command line or to just allow for a passthrough.
It looks as though they are burned in.

The help doc isn't very clear.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks!

John

John Hanley

I had hoped to modify the font size before it is built in, but I can't find any simple way to do that using Handbrake.

I tried having Handbrake save to .mkv format rather than .mp4, as I believe .mkv allows for subtitle passthrough. However, I can't seem to get Plex to play the .mkv file.

Any ideas on how to do that?

My other suggestion is to abandon Handbrake altogether and play the .ts file directly through Plex. Plex will transcode it no problem, however if I am streaming it over Wifi (Chromecast), the file (I think) buffers too often. If I play it over Plex server on my DVD Smart menu which is ethernet, it plays perfectly. That is a nice solution, however, my DVD player functionality is limited and the fast forward doesn't work properly.

So is there a cheap hard-wired player that would work well?

Or is there a way to optimize the Plex transcoder so that it plays back more smoothly?

Thanks!

John