Topics

GUI music players

Gordon Haverland

I've been a long time Amarok (or amaroK) user. Today for the n'th
time, Amarok stopped playing when set to play forever.

I wasn't aware that Amarok had been removed from Debian a long time ago.

I've run across a few music players, but none seem to have the features
of Amarok. Such as being able to play music shortly after it was
installed. Anyway, I would like to get recommendations for something
which can play music from a directory endlessly. And it should be
possible to periodically shuffle the playlist, but I can do that
manually.

Perferably not in java, javascript or mono.

Thanks.

Rajiv D

I use rhythmbox.

- Rajiv

On Oct 24, 2019, at 22:11, Gordon Haverland <ghaverla@...> wrote:
I've been a long time Amarok (or amaroK) user. Today for the n'th
time, Amarok stopped playing when set to play forever.

I wasn't aware that Amarok had been removed from Debian a long time ago.

I've run across a few music players, but none seem to have the features
of Amarok. Such as being able to play music shortly after it was
installed. Anyway, I would like to get recommendations for something
which can play music from a directory endlessly. And it should be
possible to periodically shuffle the playlist, but I can do that
manually.

Perferably not in java, javascript or mono.

Thanks.

William Henderson aka Slackrat

"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> writes:

I've been a long time Amarok (or amaroK) user. Today for the n'th
time, Amarok stopped playing when set to play forever.
Personally, I zapped all the fancy (amarok, audacious, xmms, yea and
xine and (g)mplayer too) players and use vlc for everything.

--
William Henderson
aka Slackrat

Gordon Haverland

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 04:09:29 -0600
"William Henderson aka Slackrat" <@Slackrat> wrote:

Personally, I zapped all the fancy (amarok, audacious, xmms, yea and
xine and (g)mplayer too) players and use vlc for everything.
Debian dropped amarok. I've no idea if they will add it again.

On my server, I have mpd and icecast producing a "feed" which any
computer on my LAN can listen to. Mpd will happily repeat forever. I
can reshuffle the list, but I am not so crazy about how that is done.

I could produce a second list on the server and serve that via icecast
as well for this one special music feed. But instead, I was using
amarok to read a directory of usic. And amarok just stops for no
apparent reason every once in a while. Since pulse is involved in what
amarok is doing, it could be some interaction with pulse which is
stopping amarok. On occassion, I've noticed zombie versions of amarok
on that machine.

I tried to get audacious working, it didn't seem to work. Rhythmbox
seems to be working. I had never considered anything which can (also)
do video. I thought it would be too bulky.

Dariusz J. Garbowski

On 2019-10-26 7:50 p.m., Gordon Haverland wrote:
On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 04:09:29 -0600
"William Henderson aka Slackrat" <@Slackrat> wrote:

Personally, I zapped all the fancy (amarok, audacious, xmms, yea and
xine and (g)mplayer too) players and use vlc for everything.
Debian dropped amarok. I've no idea if they will add it again.
Give Clementine a spin: https://www.clementine-player.org/

"Clementine is a modern music player and library organizer
Clementine is a multiplatform music player. It is inspired by Amarok 1.4, focusing on a fast and easy-to-use interface for searching and playing your music."

I use it when I don't use DeaDBeeF: https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/

DeaDBeeF has become my number one player when I needed to play bit-perfect audio through USB to external DAC -- in that case I send the audio directly to ALSA, bypassing PulseAudio. Everything else normally goes through Pulse to headphones or monitor in my setup, music goes though DeaDBeeF -> ALSA -> USB ->DAC... Sometimes I route PulseAudio to the DAC though (in which case I will use Clementine for music or change config in DeaDBeeF to play though PulseAudio as well).

By the way, there is a good post on Medium how to configure PulseAudio for better sound quality (resampling and remixing in particular can be made better for a little price in CPU use).

Hope this helps,
Dariusz

Dariusz J. Garbowski

On 2019-10-26 9:10 p.m., Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
On 2019-10-26 7:50 p.m., Gordon Haverland wrote:
[...]

Ugh, here's the link to the Medium post: https://medium.com/@gamunu/enable-high-quality-audio-on-linux-6f16f3fe7e1f

Dariusz