From: elug@groups.io <elug@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gordon Haverland via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:50 PM
To: elug@groups.io
Subject: [elug] Gmail became too annoying

I seen a blurb on TheRegister today, about business accounts on gmail are going to HAVE to use OAUTH soon.  I have updated thunderbird twice on Devuan, and both times in checking if it worked, thunderbird could not log in.  Google had frozen access to un-googled programs.

So tonight, I set up an account for Mom at protonmail, and deleted her gmail account.  There was no way to forward email to protonmail.

Dorks.

Rajiv D

Well, I run thunderbird on Ubuntu 18.04 with two gmail accounts and oauth seems to be working fine for me.

- Rajiv

On Dec 17, 2019, at 21:49, Gordon Haverland <ghaverla@...> wrote:
I seen a blurb on TheRegister today, about business accounts on gmail
are going to HAVE to use OAUTH soon. I have updated thunderbird twice
on Devuan, and both times in checking if it worked, thunderbird could
not log in. Google had frozen access to un-googled programs.

So tonight, I set up an account for Mom at protonmail, and deleted her
gmail account. There was no way to forward email to protonmail.

Dorks.

William Henderson aka Slackrat

"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> writes:

I seen a blurb on TheRegister today, about business accounts on gmail
are going to HAVE to use OAUTH soon. I have updated thunderbird twice
on Devuan, and both times in checking if it worked, thunderbird could
not log in. Google had frozen access to un-googled programs.

So tonight, I set up an account for Mom at protonmail, and deleted her
gmail account. There was no way to forward email to protonmail.

Dorks.
It may be the beginning of the end of the interbet we have loved and
hated for so long.

The megacorps are all bending us to their will and soon will come the
"Straw That Broke The Camel's Back."

And what will that be? Well, being a misanthrope, I firmly believe it
will come in the form of an personalized email, or more insultingly in
the form of a widely publicized "Press Release", the gist of which will
be "that costs have risen over the years to such an extent that we just
can not continue to provide you with our services without your taking
out a small (initially) paid subscription to our service."

I'm Crazy? Well that has been previously postulated by sundry
commentators on numerous occasions over the years.

But, having had my 80th birthday last Sunday, and having been involved
with computers since my teen years in one way or another, I've had the
opportunity of watching the trends, or the antics if you will, of the
"industry leaders"

And recently I have noticed changes in the policy and modus operandi of
Google, IMBB and YouTube, to mention just three, which tend to reinforce
my suspicions that Pay Internet is just around the corner.

--
William Henderson
aka Slackrat

Gordon Haverland

I looked around gmail before dropping them, and there seemed to be no
way to forward (within gmail the service). At the moment, gmail will
allow you to connect via thunderbird (and other "lesser" interfaces),
and thunderbird can forward your email to another address. But Google
announced that this ability is going away soon for business users.
There was no mention of non-business users. But, if they can drop
paying customers, can they "afford" to continue doing this for
non-paying customers much longer after that? So, I left.

I thought protonmail might work, but it only does forwarding as an
experiment at the moment, and only for paying customers. So, I am
wondering what to do next. My thoughts are to set up a container for
email, and then set up email on the LAN properly. And do it from
there.

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:50:03 -0700
"William Henderson aka Slackrat" <@Slackrat> wrote:

But, having had my 80th birthday last Sunday, and having been involved
with computers since my teen years in one way or another,
I'll be 60 in the spring, having started with computers (a HP desktop
which used cassette tape for long term storage) in grade 11. I did get
the chance to work with PDP-11 (and 8 inch floppies, and real
winchesters) while working at a SLOWPOKE nuclear reactor many years
later. I also did use paper tape (about 1975) and cards.

You've got way more experience with older hardware than me, if you
started 20 years before me.

My Mom is 87, and can use Linux a little. But, she has no drive to
learn more. Not good in my mind. But, I have a Pinebook Pro laptop
coming soon, and hopefully she can grow to use that on occassion
(probably running armbian - it has a Rockchip RC-3399 CPU).

John Hanley

I got this message to my Gmail account too. To be honest, I am not even familiar with the protocol.

Would anyone care to enlighten me on what is so good or bad about it?

Thanks!

John