Topics

emacs on Debian/Devuan

Gordon Haverland

For some reason, I upgraded a machine to emacs (emacs 26.3). If I
start emacs in a text session, it seems to work fine. If I try to
start it from a menu, there is no emacs entry in Programming any more.
It appears to start from a command line (launching into the bg), but
there is no window. Ps is returning that there are 3 (old) emacs25
sessions running (and dpkg report no emacs25 is installed any more) and
4 new sessions running.

There is vaguely a bug reported (almost 1 year ago?) about small
windows, which seems to be a GTK3 problem. There is a link there to a
Fedora bug report, which I haven't followed up yet.

Anyone else run into this?

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 06:07:13 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

There is vaguely a bug reported (almost 1 year ago?) about small
windows, which seems to be a GTK3 problem. There is a link there to a
Fedora bug report, which I haven't followed up yet.
This fedora bug originated in F24, and was related to use with a remote
X server. And is GTK3 related (in the Debian report). F24 neared end
of life, and someone reported the bug was still present in F26. And
then F26 hit end of life about 1.5 years ago, and this bug was closed
(unresolved).

There is a bug report about ELPA which seems to be taking up the time
of the Debian maintainer (bad key), which might be why there is no
entry under Programming to spawn emacs. But it is hard to see how that
keeps the emacs window from displaying. job control shows 4 emacs
(26.3) sessions running, the 4th one is being run under strace. But
how you work with an emacs session you can't see?

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 06:46:26 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

But it is hard to see how that
keeps the emacs window from displaying. job control shows 4 emacs
(26.3) sessions running, the 4th one is being run under strace. But
how you work with an emacs session you can't see?
The 4 emacs sessions (26.3) running, are all text sessions in an
xterm. For some reason, I can't get an lxrunner (lxqt-runner?) from
the menu system. Manually invoking lx-runner on the command line does
pop up its dialog box, and trying to invoke emacs that way doesn't
start an emacs window. This is after updating all the system libraries
involving GTK3 on this computer. I did switch the first emacs session
into the foreground (hence I could see it in the text session
terminal), and C-X C-C does end the session, so I am down to 3 emacs
sessions running.