Topics

Asking about VM Was Re: [elug] Pi problems (2 machines)

o1bigtenor

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 5:06 PM Darcy Glasier <dglasier@...> wrote:

Gord,

In regards to pihole, I would turn logging on such that you can see what hosts are being blocked at which domains. Also, if you are getting blocked when you don't want to you can always whitlist certain domains, likewise you can add additional blacklist domains to tighten things up. but without logs, you wont be able to troubleshoot and tweak...

I started with a RPI-3B as well, but changed to run mine on a bare bones Debian VM with 512 M of ram that spins inside my NAS and works great! This frees up that Rpi for other projects! But, if you have nowhere to spin a VM 24/7 the PI is great with it's low power usage. For me, the NAS is spinning there 24/7 anyhow, so this ended up makeing more sense, and gave me back that rpi for something else!
What are you using for your VM?
A container, virtual box ?????

TIA

Darcy Glasier

I have a ts-451 QNAP NAS, that has Virtualization Station...  I wouldn't want to run anything that requires much CPU or RAM, but something like pi-hole it works great!

I did actually build the VM in Virtual box, and later exported it to .OVA (open virtualization format 1.0), and that imported into Virtualization station on the NAS...

Regards,
Darcy

o1bigtenor

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 12:11 AM Darcy Glasier <dglasier@...> wrote:

I have a ts-451 QNAP NAS, that has Virtualization Station... I wouldn't want to run anything that requires much CPU or RAM, but something like pi-hole it works great!

I did actually build the VM in Virtual box, and later exported it to .OVA (open virtualization format 1.0), and that imported into Virtualization station on the NAS...

Thanks for the info.