Topics

Android smartphones

Gordon Haverland

I have an Asus Zenfone Laser 2 (which could be known as ZOOT?). The OS
has been updated to Android 6.0.2 I believe. As near as I can tell,
that it too old an OS to be considered secure. This smartphone has
never been connected to a phone network or the Internet.

Once again, I was looking at it, and there doesn't seem to be any
settings available, to get it to save RAW camera images. The only
thing you can get are JPEG.

At some point, JPEG files are typically 8 bit. The RAW image device in
your smartphone could be 10, 12, 14 or ? One of the things the
software of the camera does in saving a file, is to lower the data size
to 8 bits. So, being able to save a RAW image file potentially allows
you to work with better data.

I upgraded the phone OS by downloading images from Asus, so as near as
I can tell the phone is still "legal". One thing I could do (I think),
is to install LineageOS, which would get me Android 9 or Android 10.
Lineage can apparently run the Google Apps, one of which is the camera
(called snap?). Some things I read make it sound like I should be able
to install these GApps, but one source was talking about having
purchased these things from the Play Store or something. I have never
installed any app on this phone, the only thing I did was upgrade OS
images.

I have no idea if I could use this as a phone on the phone network if I
upgrade to Linage. I suspect that if at some point I wanted to install
an app (to take credit cards or similar); I would find that I was not
able to do so because it was no longer Android (or it had been
"rooted").

Oh well, I am not making money yet, so the need to do that is not
pressing.

But, today I ran across an article about installing Debian onto an
Android device, and then putting an Android environment inside the
Debian environment. And all the expected Android stuff could sit
inside this environment. You might find the article interesting.

https://medium.com/@quantvc/running-debian-on-android-device-natively-73545c9b0757

Written in 2016. Parts of it need more explanation I think.

Anyway, if you had comments on the above, that's wonderful.

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 21:01:43 -0700
"Gordon Haverland" <ghaverla@...> wrote:

I have an Asus Zenfone Laser 2 (which could be known as ZOOT?).
ZOOTD - ZE551KL

There were a pile of LineageOS 15.1 kernels, but really only the first
and last had lots of downloads, so I picked the last one. Some page
talked about "root" and directed me to a page which had things like
sudo and openstreetmap (or was it openweathermap?). None labelled
root, so I assume I didn't need anything from there. And the third
thing was OpenGapps. When you turned on enough javascript, it seemed
to suggest Arm64, Android 8 (Oreo same as Lineage 15.1) and Nano.

I've no idea when I might look into installing any/all of this.

Oh, there was a link to z back2stock.zip file, which I also downloaded.