Texting

Gordon Haverland

I have heard of texting in the context of telephones (mobile), and I
believe it is related to SMS. But how does one send a text message to
someone's mobile phone? Apparently this is the only reliable way to
get a message to my plumber.

I have an Android, which has never been turned into a phone, and I have
a Nokia dumb phone, which when I remember to give 7/11 money, can be
used for phoning (number is under an Alberta area code). But at the
moment, it has no service. (out of money again).

I think Internet to text gateways exist, but how do you find or choose
one?

Thanks.