Re: Ryzen freezes - random

Gordon Haverland

In mid April of 2018, AMD seemed to have acknowledged the mwait
"problem", and said BIOS changes would be pushed out "soon". In the
meantime, the idle=nomwait kernel command line would affect a
reasonable temporary solution.

If you have the linux-cpupower package installed, the command
cpupower idle-info
will tell you about the idle subsystem.

In the acknowledgement, it was mentioned that this was only affecting
kernels newer than 4.13 (I am running a 4.17 or 4.18 kernel). I think
most people running stable system, are probably running 4.9.

If you go to play with that zenstates.py program I mentioned in the
runs it, and the msr kernel module must be loaded for it to work.

Will this solve the problem? These EPYC/Threadripper people are
talking about reboots. What I am seeing is freezes (CPU halts and
never starts again). Is this the same problem? I don't know. At the
moment I am running with idle-nomwait, and I'll see if it freezes
again. If it doesn't freeze for a while, I guess I will start dropping
the number of boinc jobs down, so that it spends more time in the idle
state.