annoying thunderbird fonts problem

mward

This is LinuxLite 4.0, Tbird latest, just downloaded.

Setting the minimum and default font sizes doesn't work. The font in *some*
(not all) messages is so small it's almost unreadable, like 6 points. It's
preposterous.

Under Edit > Preferences > Display > Advanced, I set the font sizes - it makes
no difference. I cleared the checkbox about letting messages set their own font
size. Ditto.

I installed the Theme Font&Size changer plugin - it makes no difference. Aside:
why do you need a PLUGIN for this?

I set the font size in the profile's *.default/chrome file as per this site:

https://wikispaces.psu.edu/display/training/Changing+the+Default+Font+Size+of+Thunderbird

It makes no difference.

WTF?

Any suggestions appreciated.