Re: Ubuntu 18.04-LTS

I did the do-release-update and it broke my wifi....sort of. Note that I was on 16.04 and in order to get 18.04, it first upgrades to 17.10.  This is where the wifi broke.

I could get an IP address and connect to LAN resources, but it wouldn't let me ping the outside world. Rather than track down the error, it was easier to fresh install 18.04.

I keep /home on it's own partition, so after upgrading, it of course keeps some of my desktop theme preferences. I lost some icon shortcuts and things like my battery indicator.

The laptop feels faster, but I'd expect that from any new OS installation.

All in all, I was up and running in about 30 minutes, including having some needed software (keepass, syncthing and a few others). 

Jared

On Tue, May 1, 2018, 5:55 PM Rajiv D <rdasm@...> wrote:
I always do a “do-release-upgrade” after about a month or two. But this time, I think I will have to go for a fresh install.

Because this version doesn’t support i386 code and I have both i386 and amd64 packages, I am not sure how this will turn out if I go this route.

Has anyone tried the “do-release-update”? What was the result? Did the upgrade break anything?

- Rajiv

On May 1, 2018, at 12:07, Rene Matthijssen <rene@...> wrote:

I did all fresh installs.
So far - so good....
Rene

> On 2018-04-30 11:17 PM, Jared wrote:
> Thanks for sharing, Rene.  Did you install fresh or do you usually do the upgrade option?
>
> Since about 14.04, I've doing the upgrades as opposed to installing fresh. I have not really had an issue with this approach.  My laptop was 16.04 Ubuntu Mate, so it's upgrading to 17.10 first and then to 18.04.  Cross your fingers!
>
> I have a laptop with a HiDPI display. I just finished installing Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and I'm blown away as to how great this distribution is. I can't wait to upgrade my gaming rig with it.
>
> 14.04 end of life is next year, April 2019. I have a home media "server" that uses regular Ubuntu 14.04. This gives me a year to decide if I bite the bullet and just continue using Ubuntu, or move the server to Mate.
>
> It sounds like 18.04 is being well received by many. Let's hope there are no surprises.
>
> Jared

Join elug@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.