Re: Ubuntu 18.04-LTS

Rajiv D

To add dpkg -l shows the architecture for individual packages you have installed. 

- Rajiv

On May 1, 2018 19:14, Rajiv D <rdasm@...> wrote:
I believe "uname -m" shows your arch. If it's x86_64, you are running 64bit code. 

- Rajiv

On May 1, 2018 18:40, "Frederick R. McDougall" <frmcdo@...> wrote:
How does one detect i386 code products on their computer?  I currently am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit.
Fred

On Tue, May 1, 2018, 17:55 Rajiv D, <rdasm@...> wrote:
I always do a “do-release-upgrade” after about a month or two. But this time, I think I will have to go for a fresh install.

Because this version doesn’t support i386 code and I have both i386 and amd64 packages, I am not sure how this will turn out if I go this route.

Has anyone tried the “do-release-update”? What was the result? Did the upgrade break anything?

- Rajiv

On May 1, 2018, at 12:07, Rene Matthijssen <rene@...> wrote:

I did all fresh installs.
So far - so good....
Rene

> On 2018-04-30 11:17 PM, Jared wrote:
> Thanks for sharing, Rene.  Did you install fresh or do you usually do the upgrade option?
>
> Since about 14.04, I've doing the upgrades as opposed to installing fresh. I have not really had an issue with this approach.  My laptop was 16.04 Ubuntu Mate, so it's upgrading to 17.10 first and then to 18.04.  Cross your fingers!
>
> I have a laptop with a HiDPI display. I just finished installing Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and I'm blown away as to how great this distribution is. I can't wait to upgrade my gaming rig with it.
>
> 14.04 end of life is next year, April 2019. I have a home media "server" that uses regular Ubuntu 14.04. This gives me a year to decide if I bite the bullet and just continue using Ubuntu, or move the server to Mate.
>
> It sounds like 18.04 is being well received by many. Let's hope there are no surprises.
>
> Jared

Join elug@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.