Re: OT: Out of country call forwarding

Keehan Dowd

I've made a couple trips to Australia this last year...   Skype has no local numbers in Canada, so you can by a US Skype number and forward you Canadian phone to it and then use Skype on the Australian end, but you'll still need data (cellular or wifi) anyway, so as Bart mentions, you'd probably be best just grabbing a local phone with a pre-paid SIM.   I bought a Samsung J1 for $89 (a low-end android handset) and a $50 pre-paid SIM which gave me 30 days of unlimited in-country calling, unlimited texting and 8GB of data and then I used Skype and WhatsApp on the handset to talk/message back here to Canada.  http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/prepaid/plans   Optus is about the best bang per dollar when it comes to pre-paid plans.  There are many other carriers if you want to shop around.

I'd be happy to loan my J1 handset if she just wants to buy her own SIM there to save a few dollars.  I don't use it here in Canada.

Regards,
Keehan.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Bart Oleksy <BARTO@...> wrote:

Another option is for her to bring her (carrier-unlocked) phone along to Australia and buy a new SIM card there with the package of calling/texting/data that she needs.  This is what I've done before when traveling abroad, usually for shorter time periods but most prepaid packages are good for a month or more anyway.

Hope that helps!

From: elug@groups.io <elug@groups.io> on behalf of John Hanley <linux@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:03 PM
To: elug@groups.io
Subject: [elug] Out of country call forwarding

My sister-in-law is heading to Australia for a month. She would like some kind of inexpensive way to still send/receive a few phone calls and texts. Right now Telus wants to sell her an $85 package for 75 minutes.

One option I thought of  included  call forward from  her telus number to a local  carrier where she would purchase a SIM card for her iPhone .  Another option I thought of  included  a local Skype  number  where she would have calls forwarded to .

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for an out of country calling solution?

Thanks!
John

Join elug@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.