ANN: EinsteinPy Geodesics 0.1.0 Released

Shreyas Bapat

Hi all!

It gives me immense pleasure to announce the release of EinsteinPy Geodesics 0.1.0

EinsteinPy Geodesics is an addon package for EinsteinPy, that wraps over Julia’s excellent DifferentialEquations.jl suite and provides a python interface to solve for geodesics in Kerr & Schwarzschild spacetime. EinsteinPy is an open source pure Python package, dedicated to problems arising in General Relativity and Gravitational Physics. As with EinsteinPy, EinsteinPy Geodesics is released under the MIT license. The source code of einsteinpy_geodesics can be viewed here.

This package makes use of the Kerr super-hamiltonian (See Gravitation Ch. 33, MTW), and DifferentialEquations.jl’s HamiltonianProblem type to automatically derive the dynamical equations and solve for Kerr geodesics. Since, Schwarzschild spacetime is a limit of Kerr spacetime, Schwarzschild geodesics can also be calculated. Below, we present some of the geodesic plots, made using einsteinpy and einsteinpy_geodesic.

You can install it using pip:

pip install einsteinpy-geodesics

I will take this opportunity to thank Jyotirmaya Shivottam, who worked hard during the GSoC 2020 for the development of the Null Geodesics Module and created this package for highly precise calculations.

Blog for EinsteinPy : https://blog.einsteinpy.org/

Make sure you follow us on Twitter for better updates: https://twitter.com/EinsteinPy/

You can have a look at the documentation:

Please join our chat on Matrix/Riot and feel free to ask any questions you might have:

Prof. Einstein once said: "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving."
Hence, we will keep moving, keep progressing, and work harder for the next release!

Shreyas Bapat
The EinsteinPy Project
Mail: shreyas@...