ANN: EinsteinPy 0.2.0 Released 🚀

Shreyas Bapat

Hi all!

It gives me immense pleasure to announce the release of EinsteinPy 0.2.0  🚀

EinsteinPy is an open source pure Python package dedicated to problems arising in General Relativity and gravitational physics, such as geodesics plotting for Schwarzschild, Kerr and Kerr Newman space-time model, calculation of Schwarzschild radius, calculation of Event Horizon and Ergo-sphere for Kerr space-time. Symbolic Manipulations of various tensors like Metric, Riemann, Ricci and Christoffel Symbols is also possible using the library. EinsteinPy also features Hyper-surface Embedding of Schwarzschild space-time, which will soon lead to modelling of Gravitational Lensing! It is released under the MIT license.

You can install it using pip or conda:

pip install einsteinpy

or

conda install -c conda-forge einsteinpy

This particular release saw a total of 23 contributors out of which 20 contributed in the project for the first ever time, a lots of features and 4 very happy faces!

We got acknowledged for our work by Prof. Abhay Ashtekar!!! We presented EInsteinPy in Astronomy Boot Camp at New Delhi.

I will take this opportunity to thank every contributor who gave their time to this project! I also thank every person who tries to install EinsteinPy, find bugs and report us.
I specially thank European Space Agency for selecting us as a mentor organisation in SOCIS 2019. I thank Debian Astro Team for including EinsteinPy as a package in Debian Buster!

It is worth to note that following students are working on EinsteinPy this summer as part of ESA SOCIS 2019.

1) Sofía Ortín Vela (University of Zaragoza, Spain) - "Extension of the library as a package for symbolic calculations"
2) Varun Singh (Indian Institute of Technology Mandi, India)- "Visual Relativity using EinsteinPy"
3) Chinmay Talegaonkar (Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India)- "Adaptive Mesh refinement for EinsteinPy"

Also, hopefully EinsteinPy will be presented at Python in Astronomy 2019 at Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, USA.

Full release notes can be read in the documentation:

Please join our chat on Matrix/Riot and feel free to ask any questions you might have:

Prof. Einstein once said: "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving."
Hence, we will keep moving, keep progressing and work harder for the next release!

Per aspera ad astra!

Shreyas Bapat

The EinsteinPy Project

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify us by mailing on admin@.... This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.