SNR values

Jim McCook W6YA

While using SNR values as approximate and relative to other signal values, I'm getting S9+ values displayed for stations I'm unable to hear with my 4el 20m yagi and K3.  This is the same situation on all other bands.  I don't expect these values to be anywhere near absolute, but I see a column of S6 to S9+ readings for signals that are not audible through a low noise level.  There's nothing wrong with my receiving situation.

Ham CAP 1.91 is running in the background.  I tried changing the SNR filter values.  I tried changing all my antenna settings to low dipoles, but I still get those extremely high SNR values displayed.  I entered the current K and sunspot values.  No difference.  Obviously I'm missing something.

Ideas?

73, Jim W6YA

Peter Jennings

Hi Jim,

the first thing to check is the SSN - smoothed sunspot number you are using. Up-to-date values are on VE3NEA's site. http://www.dxatlas.com/HamCap/  - download the zip file...  (You have probably done that).

You could compare HamCap results with https://www.voacap.com/hf/ results.

And then remember that the smoothed sunspot is an average for the month, and any day can be much better or much worse than the average.

DX Monitor is merely an interface to HamCap which itself is an interface to VOACAP.

Peter

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 1:45 PM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
While using SNR values as approximate and relative to other signal values, I'm getting S9+ values displayed for stations I'm unable to hear with my 4el 20m yagi and K3.  This is the same situation on all other bands.  I don't expect these values to be anywhere near absolute, but I see a column of S6 to S9+ readings for signals that are not audible through a low noise level.  There's nothing wrong with my receiving situation.

Ham CAP 1.91 is running in the background.  I tried changing the SNR filter values.  I tried changing all my antenna settings to low dipoles, but I still get those extremely high SNR values displayed.  I entered the current K and sunspot values.  No difference.  Obviously I'm missing something.

Ideas?

73, Jim W6YA

Jim McCook W6YA

Peter, I have tried to put current data into Ham CAP 1.91 in the Params screen, but it's never accepted.  That screen doesn't seem to do anything.  it won't accept any new entries.  The latest date I can get is Dec 2019, but that doesn't stick, either.  SSN and Kp are always the same... 35 and 3, Jan 2005.  I also put the current ssn.dat files into the DX Monitor folder, which replaced the old one, but that made no difference in anything with HAM Cap or DX Monitor.  I rebooted the computer, too.  No difference.  Something is wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

Jim

VE3SUN - Peter Jennings

I would uninstall HamCap, download the latest version with the latest SSN data and reinstall.

See if that helps.

It is also possible that Windows security is preventing the program from saving the new data to a file in the folder where HamCap is installed.

Peter

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 4:30 PM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
Peter, I have tried to put current data into Ham CAP 1.91 in the Params screen, but it's never accepted.  That screen doesn't seem to do anything.  it won't accept any new entries.  The latest date I can get is Dec 2019, but that doesn't stick, either.  SSN and Kp are always the same... 35 and 3, Jan 2005.  I also put the current ssn.dat files into the DX Monitor folder, which replaced the old one, but that made no difference in anything with HAM Cap or DX Monitor.  I rebooted the computer, too.  No difference.  Something is wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

Jim

Jim McCook W6YA

Peter, I did uninstall Ham Cap, ITS HF Prop, then reinstalled it all with the latest ssn.dat.  Same problem.  Ham Cap entries are not saved.  I can enter lat/long, ssn values, Kp value, my call sign, etc. but nothing sticks.  It still comes up on Jan 2005.  I use typical security with NOD32 antivirus by ESET.  I'll probably just uninstall HAM Cap and ITS HF Prop and forget about that SNR issue.  Thanks for your suggestions.  73, Jim

VE3SUN - Peter Jennings

What folder is HamCap in? W10 often causes problems with programs that write data to Program Files... folders.

I would ask Alex for help. He would be more on top of it.

Peter

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 9:56 AM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
Peter, I did uninstall Ham Cap, ITS HF Prop, then reinstalled it all with the latest ssn.dat.  Same problem.  Ham Cap entries are not saved.  I can enter lat/long, ssn values, Kp value, my call sign, etc. but nothing sticks.  It still comes up on Jan 2005.  I use typical security with NOD32 antivirus by ESET.  I'll probably just uninstall HAM Cap and ITS HF Prop and forget about that SNR issue.  Thanks for your suggestions.  73, Jim

Jim McCook W6YA

Ham Cap folder is in the Program Files (x86) Afreet folder with Alex's other programs.  DX monitor is separate in a DX Monitor folder under x86 also.  There is a ssn.dat in there, too.  Maybe I will check with Alex at some point.

Jim McCook W6YA

Hi Peter,

My bandmap is still missing a huge number of spots, so I'm now thinking the problem is the SNR filter, which is set to Minimum -20.  In Bandmap Options all SNR items are grayed out.  How can I get rid of everything related to SNR to see if my bandmap will work again?  I have Ham Cap 1.91 installed, but it can't be set to current date... not even close.  That has always been a problem.

BTW my filters are set properly.  Whether or not they are enabled makes no difference with my problem of a huge number of missing spots.  Everything is visible in the main window when I turn off the Only Local Spotters option.

73, Jim W6YA

Jim McCook W6YA

Something I did un-grayed those SNR options in the Bandmap Window!  I have no idea what happened.  Anyhow, I shut off all SNR options and now I see a proper list of spots!  Sorry I didn't get this working before I Emailed you!

73, Jim
W6YA

VE3SUN - Peter Jennings

No worries, you emailed me during my afternoon nap, so I didn't notice until now.

Glad you got it working.

Peter