New Version Changed My Settings

Jim McCook W6YA

Hi Peter,

While DX Monitor was running I got a notification that I wasn't running the latest version 1.87, so I initiated the upgrade.  I was asked if I wanted to use the default settings, which I definitely did NOT want, so answered no.  After it finished installing I see a message that my settings were saved in another file.  Huh?  That's what I did not want.  Now I see that all my frequency filter and color settings for the rainbow setting have been changed.  I can't imagine creating those settings again.

How can I return to all my correct settings for frequency filters and colors?  Where are those files?  What did I do wrong?

Please, help!

Jim W6YA

VE3SUN - Peter Jennings

Jim,

You seem to have installed the latest beta. If you got the message about the update, you were already running a previous beta version.

Beta versions should be installed in a different folder in case they bring problems.

If you just accepted the suggested install folder during the installation process, the 1.87 version would be installed in

C:\Program Files (x86)\DX Monitor 187

Your old program and all its settings will be in whatever folder you installed in last time. Probably:

C:\Program Files (x86)\DX Monitor 184

but maybe somewhere else if it was another version or you chose a different folder.

Take a look and create a new shortcut to the older dxmon.exe executable.

If you installed the new version over top of the old one by manually selecting the folder such as c:\dxmon, then the old configuration should have been saved as a profile.

In the File menu, select Use Profile and the latest saved date will be the one.

It is always a good idea to save the current settings with the Save Profile command in the File menu from time to time, so it can be restored if necessary.

If you go back to the old program, please turn off Automatic HB9DRV downloads as that site has closed down.

Hope this helps.

73
Peter

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 7:27 PM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
Hi Peter,

While DX Monitor was running I got a notification that I wasn't running the latest version 1.87, so I initiated the upgrade.  I was asked if I wanted to use the default settings, which I definitely did NOT want, so answered no.  After it finished installing I see a message that my settings were saved in another file.  Huh?  That's what I did not want.  Now I see that all my frequency filter and color settings for the rainbow setting have been changed.  I can't imagine creating those settings again.

How can I return to all my correct settings for frequency filters and colors?  Where are those files?  What did I do wrong?

Please, help!

Jim W6YA

Jim McCook W6YA

Peter, Unfortunately all the old files were overwritten.  The only folder I had was C:\Program Files (x86) DX Monitor.  All the new beta files overwrote the others.  I had thought by not selecting the default settings option the old settings would remain.  I remember this happened to me once before and I had to rebuild the frequency filters and colors.  It appears that the frequency filters and colors as well as the DX Alerts settings were the only ones that changed.  It sure would be nice to have that choice of NOT upgrading with default settings would actually save all previous settings.  I'll start reconstructing the frequency filters and colors again, which will be a huge job.  Perhaps renaming DX Monitor folder DX Monitor xxx would have avoided this and created a separate folder where I could simply move the new dxmon.exe into it.  I will probably avoid any future upgrades from now on.  Thanks, Jim

Peter Jennings

Hi Jim,

the default installation is a new DX Monitor folder DX Monitor xxx   (187 in this case), so I can't figure out why your update would not have been installed in the new folder unless you changed that during the installation.

But if you have a drive backup, you can always restore the folder from that. You really should have a backup of your hard drive for many reasons.

I would suggest you search your drive for dxmon.exe in case you installed to a different folder before. You might find it.

Peter

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 2:36 PM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi again, Peter,

Good ideas.  I can't find another dxmon.exe anywhere in my computer.  I have always used one folder as DX Monitor, but now I see any update should be to a folder with a different name, such as your examples show.  I have two HDs in RAID1 config, but don't have a separate backup.  I know it would be a good idea to have a backup, but 99% of my concern is for a failed HD.

I have one last question:  Which files contain the data for frequency filters and colors, LID filter, and DX Alert settings?  I'd like to store duplicate files in a separate folder, unless all that is contained in dxmon.exe.

Thanks, Jim

Peter Jennings

Jim,

I added a description of the files to save and move to a new installation to the FAQ. And discovered that it was already in the FAQ for the beta releases on that page.

Version 1.88 beta is now available. My apologies that the warning about overwriting the data was turned off in the last install. I have corrected that.

Beta versions should be installed in a new folder for testing just to be safe.

1.88 has the ability to block spots based on the comments, so FT8 and RTTY can disappear. I am sure many wish they had that this weekend.

There is also a new feature to tune in on the DX from a KiwiSDR receiver near the spotter or somewhere else.

I look forward to feedback on the new features and other requests while I have the hood open.

73
Peter

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 7:11 PM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
Hi again, Peter,

Good ideas.  I can't find another dxmon.exe anywhere in my computer.  I have always used one folder as DX Monitor, but now I see any update should be to a folder with a different name, such as your examples show.  I have two HDs in RAID1 config, but don't have a separate backup.  I know it would be a good idea to have a backup, but 99% of my concern is for a failed HD.

I have one last question:  Which files contain the data for frequency filters and colors, LID filter, and DX Alert settings?  I'd like to store duplicate files in a separate folder, unless all that is contained in dxmon.exe.

Thanks, Jim

Jim McCook W6YA

Hi Peter, I had completely rebuilt the frequency filter and colors for the rainbow Band Map.  After reading the 1.88 info I just installed the new 1.88 version into the new folder, DX Monitor 1.88.  Then I copied both the alerts and data folders from 1.87 as suggested, then pasted them into the DX Monitor 1.88 folder.  When I started DX Monitor 1.88, my new settings from 1.87 did not appear.  I tried again by copying only the .fil files from the DX Monitor 1.87 data folder and overwrote the ones in the DX Monitor 1.88 folder.  Same result.  My settings were not put into the new version 1.88.   There must be other files that save the frequency filter and colors that are not in the alerts and data folders.  Did I misread your instruction how to save those settings?

Thanks, Jim
W6YA

VE3SUN - Peter Jennings

Did you select which filters to apply in the Options menu?

Do your filters have different names W6YA.fil for example? Do they appear on the list of filters in that menu?

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 12:21 AM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I selected the same options as before, i.e. RAINBOW, LID filter, color for spots (was default < > 10 mins instead of my setting of < > 30 mins...etc etc etc.  It looks like everything is default settings instead of mine.

Peter Jennings

In the older version, edit your filter that you use and use Save As with a new name like W6YA.fil

Then, copy the W6YA.fil file to the new version data folder.

Restart DX Monitor and select the W6YA filter instead of Rainbow.

The Lid filter list default is none. So your new ones should be in the file.

Check the version number in the About to make sure you are running the program you think you are running. The desktop shortcut will change with each new installation. You have to find dxmon.exe for each one.

Hope this helps.

And let me know how to make it clearer for others if you sort it out.

Thanks,
Peter

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 9:18 AM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
Yes, I selected the same options as before, i.e. RAINBOW, LID filter, color for spots (was default < > 10 mins instead of my setting of < > 30 mins...etc etc etc.  It looks like everything is default settings instead of mine.

Jim McCook W6YA

I did as you suggested... Went to version 1.87 and saved rainbow.fil as W6YA.fil.  With Windows File Explorer I copied and pasted it into the data folder of v1.88.  I  then opened 1.88 and in Band Map Options, selected W6YA.  The band map didn't show any data... solid black.  In Options I changed back to Rainbow, but it's still black.  Restarts made no difference.  I also tried the same copy-paste process with rainbow.fil.  Same result.  Black Band Map.  I can't do anything to recover  it.

I'll continue to use 1.87 because I'm not able to use 1.88.  Because of these problems.  I copied the data and alerts folders of 1.87 to a separate folder at the same level as DX Monitor.  I would like to uninstall 1.88 but won't, for fear of screwing up and losing everything I've worked on with the 1.87 rainbow file.  It literally took hours.

Thanks for your help, Peter.  If you were here you could probably sort it out, but this stuff is WAY over my head, so I'll just continue with 1.87 because it works great.

73, Jim W6YA

Peter Jennings

Thanks for your perseverance, Jim.

When I finish fixing the little things that keep cropping up and release a final version, I will help you to migrate your colors as I want to better understand how to explain it to people like you.

I would guess next week, I will be ready.

73
Peter

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm happy to be with you on this, Peter.  You have always been helpful; I appreciate it.  I really like DX Monitor.  I'm glad you understand the problems that I'm seeing.  I think a lot of us have worked hard to build a filter, such as my rainbow.fil, which takes a lot of time to customize when setting all the frequencies to HIDE (in my case ALL the many ft8 and ft4 segments, which seem to expand constantly).  I also use black background for CW, blue for SSB segments, and green of two shades (SSB/CW) for WARC.  It makes viewing much more helpful.  It's important to me to preserve all that work, which was the problem with the last upgrade, even when moving those folders from 1.87 to 1.88 and seeing no changes from the defaults.  I know you will be able to get it fixed.  Maybe a description in upgrade notices of how to preserve all the important settings such as filters and alerts, etc. would be helpful to your users.  I don't use a lot of the other functions, but I have noticed that the propagation numbers without HB9DRV input are essentially worthless.  Right now the last update of those numbers was Nov 2.  DX Summit now shows 81-13-2 with the Gadget on their site, but that doesn't get to DX Monitor.   Users are very interested in seeing those numbers if they are displayed; otherwise we go to WM7D or Space Weather to find them.

Please keep me posted.  I'll be busy on CQWW weekend, of course.  Otherwise, I'm a retired guy, so always have lots of time.  73, Jim W6YA

Peter Jennings

The fix for the WWV number is to use the new URLs.

In the URLs tab (under preferences F10), please change the URLs for WWV

image.png

This will correct the display of the current SFI, A and K values.

Peter

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 8:28 PM Jim McCook W6YA <JimW6YA@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you once again!  That made the difference.  Numbers are now current...  Jim