WELLS Family Line

Dave Wells

Hi all
i joined the group today after researching my family tree shortly after the pandemic started and we were locked down (in Saudi Arabia in my case, where I work).

I've done fairly well using "Find My Past" but now I want to find out a little more about the Wells family line. I have names and dates and rough locations but would like to know a little more about the individuals, e.g. old photographs or paintings of the locations, newspaper articles, parish records, etc.

In particular, at least 3 generations of the Wells men were coopers. I wonder if they worked for a company or if they had their own business? Can anyone point me in the right direction please?!

So, this is what I have so far:

Up to and including my GGF, David Wells, we originate from Liverpool, but prior to that, the males (and most of their wives) all seem to come from the Dumfries area.

  • Going back to the start, my GGGGGF was James Wells (cooper) b 1736 Lochmaben, married Lilias White, b 1740
  • Their son was John Wells (cooper) b1760 Lochmaben, married Helen Jardine, b 1765 Dumfriesshire
  • Their son was Thomas Wells (cooper) b May 1795 Lochmaben, married Jean McClellan b1796 Drymen, Stirlingshire
  • Their son was Robert Wells (mariner) b1830 Caerlaverock, married Sarah Walker b1831 from Troqueer. He moved to Liverpool, from where my GGF David Wells was born (above)

Any pointers or nuggets of information gratefully received!

Thanks,

Dave

Terence Brown

Hi Dave,
If you haven’t already done so check out www.dgfhs.org.uk they have a surname list which may show other members researching same name but you will need to become a member to access their pedigree charts.

Regards
Terry

Terry Brown
Flat 12, 1 Westerlea Gardens, Edinburgh EH12 6HU
Mobile (best): 07977 570333
Edinburgh Tel: 0131 337 2669

On 31 Jan 2022, at 22:04, Dave Wells via groups.io <davidwells393@...> wrote:

[...]

Michelle Wilson

Hello David, Your letter piqued my curiosity.

I have been researching my family for several years and have gotten several lines back to 1600’s but just started on another line (my father’s  G.. Grandfather) Peter Wells.I wonedered whenb I saw you information if there is any connection. As I said I just started my Well’s family in November of 2021.

Here’s what I have (and it’s not much yet:

      Peter Wells (farmer) of Mousewald, Dumfriesshire Scotland married widow Agnes (Mundell) Smith on 23 January 1846 in Walton-on-the Hill Church.

They had three sons and a daughter:   Andrew born 1846 – Mousewald

                                                        James born July 7th 1848- Mousewald – married a woman named Mary  ?

                                                        Peter born Aug. 10th 1850 – Mousewald

                                                        John born Oct. 21st. 1853 – Mousewald

Sometime after John’s birth they moved to LIVERPOOL for a while. That was where their daughter Mary was born is first mentioned.

Andrew, James and Peter apparently  remained in Liverpool after their father’s death. Their mother moved back to Mousewald. Where I located her on the 1871 Census

.

John went into the merchant Navy stationed in Liverpool and married Sarah Ann Morris of Liverpool.  After their marriage he left the Sea and he and Sarah Ann mover to Holyhead where they both became licenses victulars providing supplies to merchant ships.  They had two children Emma Cecelia Wells and John jr.  John Senior contracted enchyfilitus an he and his family moved back to Liverpool and stayed with Sarah’s family, Kyffen (a linen draper) and Maria (Kemp) Birkett Morris.  He died three weeks later and after his death Sarah Ann and children returned to Holyhead where she continued their business.  My next goal in the next few weeks is to start hitting the Census to tract the activities of that family.

I couldn’t help but wonder if there was any connection as Agnes (nee Mundell) had several Mundell and Grierson family members in the Troqueer, Lochmaben and Carlaverock and Mopffat.as those families went way back in Scottish history holding titles up until the 1700’s.  I’ve done an compilation of their stories in “The Lord’s of Lag,”

The Mundells and Griersons are the ones I’ve gotten  back to the 1500’s.

Michelle

[...]

I have your Wells family in my family tree. They are not related by blood but via marriage to my 1st Cousin 2x removed James Charles Ferguson of Tinwald.

I mentioned the DGFHS website. They have a book of Memorial Inscription for Lochmaben Old Churchyard and John Wells and Elen Jardine’s grave is in there with his father James. There are a total of 29 Wells’ interred there. The book is available at https://dgfhs.org.uk/product/lochmaben-old-churchyard-2019/

Regards,

Terry

[...]

Hi Terry, nice to hear from you!

Thanks for the tip re DGFHS. I joined them the same day as I joined this group and they have been very helpful. Indeed, I used the surname checker and got a few charts with the Wells line on but so far, I havent seen any obvious connections from those. That said, when I have a bit more time, I will study them in more detail.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave Wells

Hi Terry

Regarding our connection by marriage (!), interesting - I will have to drill down a bit deeper on that side of the line.

I saw the books for sale from DGFHS. If ther are 29 of "us" there, then I will invest in a copy!

Next step of course would be to get myself up there next time I am in the UK.

Best,

Dave

Dave Wells

Hi Michelle

Wow, thank you for your reply. It's piqued my interest too!!!

I haven't really looked into the siblings of my direct Wells ancestors so far, but I do have their names and dob. I did a quick check regarding Peter Wells and can't find one but I'll delve deeper and get back to you if you wish. Happy to message you privately with an image of my family tree so far if that helps?

Funnily enough, on my dad's mum's side, they originated from Holyhead. Willliams.

Regards,

Dave