RUSSELL -- was David Carney

Charles Dobie

Allison -- you've just proved your point! I'm directly descended from Russells in Dumfries.
John Russell m. Elizabeth Murdoch. Their daughter, Mary Isabella Russell was b. c. 1813 and is one of my g-g-grandmothers.
I have no location info, but they would have been from Dumfries town or close by.

Thanks,
Charlie Dobie

At 06:03 PM 2020-10-20, you wrote:
I agree that people's discussions can bring interesting information to light
that may not be directly relevant to others in terms of the specific family
details - but sources and other details are often mentioned that can help
others in their research. I've gained a lot from others' replies and have
been sent in interesting directions to follow up possible leads to my
family, or for background information.

And there's not so much activity on this list that it becomes a burden!
(plus easy to delete emails if not interested)

Regards to all and thanks for all your input
Alison
New Zealand
(researching Russells in Dumfries)

_____________________________________

On 2020-10-21 02:19, DAVID CARNEY wrote:
Far too many messages fellows. Can you contact each directly instead
of using the group email please.
Dave

On Oct 20, 2020, at 11:14 AM, Alexander Shannon via groups.io
<alexander.shannon@...> wrote:

alipski@...

Hi Charles

Yes, this is exactly how connections and discoveries are made!

My father was a Russell from Dumfries, however I don't think this is the
same family you mention, unless yours is a branch I haven't discovered yet.
There were a lot of Russells in the area and I have 11 John Russells alone
on my tree, but not the one you mention. My oldest direct ancestor traced so
far was John Russell, born c1781 in Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, married to
Sarah White. I'm descended from their son Samuel (married Catherine
Crosbie). There's a very nice headstone in Troqueer Churchyard showing the
names of a lot of them.

I'll let you know if I come across your people in connection to my family as
I'm researching.

Best wishes
Alison

On 2020-10-21 02:19, DAVID CARNEY wrote:
Far too many messages fellows. Can you contact each directly
instead of using the group email please.
Dave

On Oct 20, 2020, at 11:14 AM, Alexander Shannon via groups.io
<alexander.shannon@...> wrote:

alipski@...

Actually, Charlie, looking at my tree more closely, I've just discovered one
of my Russells married a Dobie! I'm not sure if this is any connection to
your family, but if you'd like to explore it further you're welcome to email
me directly, rather than clogging up other people's inboxes (despite what I
said earlier!).

Regards
Alison