Topics

Zoom jottings 30

Sarah Abbott

Friends

From the Vietnamese/English discussion 28.6.20 continued

There had been a discussion about understanding at this moment following the earlier questions about sīlabbataparāmāsa (wrong practice). Nga Hoa asked about whilst reading books, going to the beach or swimming.

Ajahn asked her whether there can be understanding now of what appears as it is. When there's understanding, there's no sīlabbataparāmāsa. It's important to just listen to the truth (about life now) and understand whether it's true or not. When there's no understanding, who can understand the truth? When it's not this way, it's all sīlabbataparāmāsa. One tries and it's the story of "I" at such times.

If there's no avijjā (Ignorance), there's no akusala (unwholesomeness), no misunderstanding about what appears now, no thing at all. That understanding is the opposite of attānūdiṭṭhi (the wrong understanding of self and things). It leads to sīlabbataparāmāsa (all kinds of wrong practices). No matter how many different wrong views there are, they all come from sakkāya diṭṭhi (self view) and attānūdiṭṭhi as base.

Long asked a question about the computer screen we're looking at. We discussed more about the āsavas (the "intoxicants" or very subtle kinds of attachment, ignorance and wrong view which "ooze out" even in the sense door processes). Usually there's always "I" or "something" there all the time, even before what is seen is known as a computer or table.

Sarah