Re: Memories

jwromeijn

--- In dhammastudygroup@..., "Egbert" <hhofman@b...>
wrote:
Hi Chris and everyone,

Just as an addendum to my previous post. Is the following text
available on line anywhere?

The Omission of Memory in the Theravadin List of Dhammas: On the
Nature of Sanna by Nyanaponika Thera

Kind Regards

Herman
Hallo Herman,

Yes, and complete!

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/abhistudy.pdf

The appendix about 'memory'can be found on page 111 of this ebook
which I like very much and not only because Nyanaponika is critical
on ontology

Another, not explicit buddhistic, remark on 'memory'
What I understand from scienmtific (neuroscience, psychology)
research on memory, the metaphore that the brain is a kind of hard
disk, is not good at all.
Memory hardly exists in the brain on such a permanent way, every
moment again it is refreshed and restructured, influenced by new
experiences. When I think I remember something from my youth, I in
fact remember a memory of some years ago from a memory ten years ago
etc. from what happened in my youth.

Metta

Joop